mediajedix
1 Nickel

Alienware 15 R2 boot and shutdown issues since 1.4.4 update

Lots of issues since I updated the BIOS on my Alienware 15 R2.

I went from a fairly constant 20-30 second boot time to anywhere from 3 minutes to 15 minutes. Shutdown and restart just are non-functional at this point. I think it took the system 22 minutes to respond to a shutdown command the last time I tried it. I now have to do a hard shutdown.

Once in windows it is mostly fine (some weird screen blanks, and external device disconnects) but I was unable to even run the web-site diagnostic tool. It would stick on the updating tool part.

Ran the BIOS level diagnostic (successfully), and unplugged every external accessory, still huge wait times. 

Decided to do a system reset (it had been awhile). This has been unpleasant to say the least, super long waits whenever the system has to reboot during the process.

any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
mediajedix
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware 15 R2 boot and shutdown issues since 1.4.4 update

It will also will not go to sleep.

Clean windows install didn't improve anything.

0 Kudos
abhiindia
1 Copper

Hi, I am facing the same issue since 1.4.4 update. Where you able to get it fixed?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mediajedix
1 Nickel

no luck, I even swapped out the SSD (and did a complete clean Windows 10 install) just in case that was the problem. Still will not shutdown and boot times are crazy. 

It's been a problem for lots of folks with no answer so I'm not honestly expecting Dell to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
purple397
3 Silver

I recently went through a period when it seemed that Windows Updates were always being applied when I started or Shut Down.  All of them seemed to refer to '1709."   I felt the update must be defective as it never really installed.   I looked at Settings, Update and Security, Update History and discovered that the updates all began with '1709'   but were all part of slew of different updates. 

My advice, watch what it is really doing.    Keep starting and Shut Down machine, as it is convenient to you, and let if finish.   At least all of them really seem to finish and work.  

0 Kudos
SerpentEagle
1 Nickel

This is a problem with the BIOS. The January bios was corrupted and they since re-released it, but if you ran the Jan. bios then you will still have the problem no matter what you do. From what I hear, they are working on an update, but its been almost 3 months since the onset. Absolutely ridiculous.

0 Kudos
bomae09
2 Iron

Yep this is correct. Once you have flashed the January bios there is no fix. Only a miraculous new bios update might be able to fix. But I doubt that as dellienware's incompetence has been consistent. Good luck.
0 Kudos
mediajedix
1 Nickel

I'm really not expecting Dell to do anything about this, they mess up big time and don't seem to be looking to fix it.

The machine has basically become un-usable at this point (not counting the startup/shutdown issues, lots of little hiccups/stalls/freezes/etc), I'm going to have get a new video editing laptop (luckily my desktop is still fine). Don't think I'll be getting a Dell though.

0 Kudos

Hi,

We had two BIOS releases (one in January and another one on February 6 = same version different update). Looks like the one in January is the one causing issues for some of the systems. 

I'm working with engineering and escalating all these issues so we can't get to a resolution. 

We don't have an ETA for a new BIOS release. That's why I'm escalating all this, so they can look for a resolution.

In the meantime, please bear with us. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
2 Iron

I flashed the 1.4.4 bios when it first was published in January and I have used the computer every day since with zero issues. The bios updated my Intel Management Engine to 11.8.50.3426 that addresses the meltdown and spectre. So not all of us are experiencing problems. I did ensure that my windows was updated and the latest build before I ran the BIOS update within windows. 

I do wonder if I should update my BIOS when the new one is ready to flash. What are your recommendation @Alienware-Eimy when I currently do not have any problems (running stabile since the flash)?

0 Kudos