Highlighted

Alienware 15 R2 not Sleeping or Shutting Down

After updating the drivers and bios of my laptop, I was and am still unable to sleep or shut down the laptop without holding the power button. When attempting to sleep or shut down the laptop, the AlienFX lights stay lit along with the network light, which stays solid. The screen turns off and the laptop ceases to make any noise. When I press the power button again, it fails to respond and the only way to circumvent this issue is to force a shutdown by holding the power button.

Initially, I tried updating all the drivers, including the BIOS. This failed to fix anything. I then attempted to reinstall windows several times, including with the recovery image burned onto a flash drive. Still, the issue hasn't gone away. I even tried downgrading the BIOS, but that didn't work either. One thing to note is that the Intel MEI driver fails to install and says that the platform isn't supported. Maybe this could be related to the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

31 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 R2 not Sleeping or Shutting Down

Hi @SerpentEagle,

Try this one and let me know!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. I tried running it but it failed. This is the message I've always been getting:

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos

@Alienware-Eimy It seems that there are a considerable amount of people facing the same issues as me. What is Alienware's plan to fix this issue? It doesn't sound good for Dell to be systematically breaking the functionality of its own products... This is kind of ridiculous.

0 Kudos

Please run powercfg.exe -energy in command prompt and reply with the log file. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg.exe -energy
Enabling tracing for 60 seconds...
Observing system behavior...
Analyzing trace data...
Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

5 Errors
4 Warnings
20 Informational

See C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html for more details.

It also spit out an html file with a lot of information. I am unable to attach it to this post. Can I email it to you or something?

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
ek33
Copper

I have the same problem after updating the bios, too. I always have to shut it down by long-pressing the power button but after that, starting takes lots of time. This can be really annoying sometimes. Waiting for the solutions...

0 Kudos

Lucky u I mean you at least got a system I never got my alienware 

0 Kudos
mbolton1990
Copper

Still no answers for the crappy 1.4.4 BIOS...

0 Kudos