mlauzon
1 Copper

Alienware 15 R3 (2016): BIOS Update Showing The Wrong & Right Version...!

I was going to update to the new BIOS [1.2.4] from 1.2.3, but when I go through the process to do so, I am greeted with the following:

Capture1.PNG

Clearly someone at Dell didn't do their job properly, because you can see at the top:

Alienware_15R3_17R4_SKL1.2.3_KBL1.2.4

But where it counts it says:

Confirm - Replace "1.2.3" BIOS with "1.2.3" BIOS?

Shouldn't that read:

Confirm - Replace "1.2.3" BIOS with "1.2.4" BIOS?

I don't even want to install this update because of that...!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Alienware 15 R3 (2016): BIOS Update Showing The Wrong & Right Version...!

Bios updates on this issue has been going on 4 a minute it's the spectre exploit and meltdown exploit so keep the system up 2 date could effect it i hear people are downgrading there bios becuase of this
0 Kudos

Hi @mlauzon,

The reason why you can't do this is because this model was shipped with 2 different chipsets – Skylake and Kabylake. The bios that is web posted is a bundled bios for both the chipsets.

• Skylake users who are at 1.2.3 and try to update the new BIOS release will stay at 1.2.3 as this is the latest update for that chipset.
  • Kabylake users who are at 1.2.3 will be able to update to 1.2.4 as this is the latest update for that chipset.
Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

AlienGuruMage
1 Nickel

Hi Amy. Can you tell me why is Support Assistant still giving out update message as i already updated to SLK1.2.3?

0 Kudos