DrVenkman
1 Copper

Alienware 15 R3 GTX1070 dead

So this is just great ... I had the motherboard replaced on my system back in November 2017, about 11 months into my warranty period. Suddenly, several weeks ago, I began getting Win10 BSOD crashes, usually with a video memory error. I chalked this up to the buggy Dell BIOS updates pushed out in response to the Intel Spectre/Meltdown security problems. However, even after downgrading my BIOS to the December 2017 version 1.2.1 as recommended by Dell, my system crashes with every use of the dedicated card. Tonight I noticed in the Windows Device Manager that my GTX1070 has the dreaded yellow exclamation mark. Even after uninstalling the device from the system, rebooting and reinstalling drivers multiple times, my system BSOD's with every attempt to access the 1070 card. Even trying to install drivers via the NvidiaExperience app crashes my system. Pretty sure the 1070 is just dead and that the BIOS update circus has nothing do with the actual problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I relegate my 14 month old $2K+ computer to the status of overpriced doorstop? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 R3 GTX1070 dead

Hi @DrVenkman,

Can you please share pictures of the error code you're getting and also from the device manager. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
DrVenkman
1 Copper

Hello Eimy -

I get one of several errors within about 30 seconds to 3 minutes of starting any application that uses the GTX 1070 in my system.  Usually I get a VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGER error; sometimes I get a DPC_WATCHDOG_ERROR; and just today I got a new one, a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE.

After the failure and reboot, the Device Manager will show an exclamation mark and the message, "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems. I can sometimes reboot and the exclamation mark will go away but the system will crash again when I use the discrete GTX 1070 card.

Several times in the last few weeks, I have used the Device Manager to remove the graphics card device from my system, manually delete all the remaining files and folders from my drive, reboot and allow Windows to re-detect the graphics card, then update the drivers again, all to no avail. I have done this numerous times in the last few weeks.

I've gone as far as to wipe my C: drive and reinstall Windows twice within the last two weeks, but my computer continues to crash within moments of starting any intensive 3D application that tries to use the discrete 3D card.  

I have photos of the error codes but I do not know how to embed them in messages, sorry.

0 Kudos

Send me a PM with the Service Tag so I can assist you further. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
DrVenkman
1 Copper

I sent you a message, thank you.

0 Kudos
DrDO
1 Copper

Hello Eimy

I have a similar issue with my Alienware 15R3 (Service Tag: <Service Tag removed>): see "DeviceManager1.jpg".

DeviceManager1.jpg

There is an Error Message "Dieses Gerät wurde angehalten, weil es Fehler gemeldet hat. (Code 43)" – see DeviceManager2.jpg - translation: „Windows has stopped this device because it has reportedproblems. (Code 43)“

DeviceManager2.jpg

I uninstalled the related drivers and reinstalled drivers, I deactivated the device and reactivated again. I even installed WIn 10 (build 1809) from scratch -> no change.

The model was shipped in Dec 2016. In Sep 2017 the mainboard was exchanged due to some crashes and bluescreens from time to time. It was used for gaming only from time to time. There was some bluescreen error in November 2018 but since it started normally after the issue and I did not use the Laptop for gaming afterwards I did not notice the issue with the 1070 GPU. 

Just when I recently tried to play a bit during the Christmas break I identified the issue with the graphics card - just after the warranty time… (In Switzerland we have regularly 24 months warranty)

GPU Z found the graphics card 1070 but it was not active since there are no checks for OpenCL, CUDA,, PhysX etc. which I would expect for this model.

GPUZ.jpg

The internal graphics card works on the internal monitor but there are no signals at the HDMI and the display port, i.e. I can not connect to external monitors (I tried 3 different monitors).

Do you have a suggestion for my issue?

After 24 months I would expect that such a high end laptop (>2500$), not often used, still works properly.

Thx

OB-1NE
1 Copper

I'm getting the same error, did you manage to fix this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos