Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2018 16:00

Alienware 15 R3 SSD

I have an Alienware 15 R3 with 128 GB SSD as boot drive and a standard 1 TB HD.  I would like to upgrade the SSD drive to a 1 TB.  I called Dell sales in May and was told this was not an issue. Last week I called to order but was told my laptop could only use a 512 GB SSD and still use the 128 GB SSD boot drive. Since I had conflicting information, I called Dell back the following day and was told I could use a 1 TB SSD and clone the data from the 128 GB drive onto the new 1 TB SSD.  Today I received a telephone call from the Dell salesman who wanted to know if I was ready to make a purchase, he then went on to tell me I could not possibly place a 1 TB SSD in the laptop and have the 128 GB SSD installed. 

Dell, please tell me what the correct options are. Obviously confused by conflicting answers to the same question.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 27th, 2018 11:00

Hi @Chief Mike,

The following table shows the hard-drive options available in this computer:

Hard drive specifications
Hard drive One 2.5-inch drive
Solid-state drive (SSD)
  • Two full-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drives
  • One half-size M.2 PCIe/SATA drive

So yes, you can add an extra 1 TB SSD. All the information is on the system's manual in case Sales tells you otherwise.

September 27th, 2018 15:00

Thank you for confirming the information.  Strangely a Dell sales rep called me yesterday and was adamant that I could not use a 1TB SSD m.2 along with a smaller SSD m.2.  I appreciate you confirming what I thought and what another Dell sales person told me. 

1 Message

December 14th, 2019 01:00

confused about the HDD's the 2.5 inch slot can hold 2 full and an extra half size HDD or SDD? my OS drive is almost full and would like to clone it and add a 2nd drive for programs. The max size of the drive is still 1TB?

137 Posts

December 14th, 2019 06:00

Hi

I had in my Ali 15 R3 

1. M.2 Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1 TB

2. M.2 Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 2 TB

3. Sata SSD Samsung 860 Evo 2TB ( so not 1TB only)

To avoid any conflict I suggest that you should use disks of one brand.

There was still one slot empty for one half-size M2 PCIe or SataAlienware 15 R3.jpg

No Events found!