PaulTsai
1 Nickel

Alienware 15 R3 black screen after BIOS update to 1.3.0

Hi 

I have a alienware 15 R3. and I encounter black screen after i let the support assistant to update the bios to 1.3.0. 

I also have an alienware amplifier with GTX1080.

The screen looks like this.

IMG_20180723_141129 (1).jpg

I have to unplug the power and let the windows hibernate by closing the screen and re start to let the intel display adapter take over the NVIDIA one.

Untitled.png

And i can see that there is some problem with the NVIDIA driver. 

But reinstallation the NVIDIA driver doesn't help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 R3 black screen after BIOS update to 1.3.0

Hi @PaulTsai,

Reflash the BIOS to older version. Then retry the driver installation.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Nexus Moon
2 Iron

I have heard that since the new 1.3.0 BIOS supposed to fix the Intel chip's vulnerabilities, the BIOS won't let user reflash to an older version than 1.2.4. Many people flashed the 1.3.0 but in msinfo32 it states the version as 1.2.4. I would like to downgrade the BIOS as well since the 1.2.4 and "1.3.0" is giving me issue with the screen resolution. Every time I change my resolution from 4k to 1080p and watch any videos, i.e YouTube on both Chrome and Microsoft Edge, the screen will flicker occasionally. I will flick when I hit volume and sometimes with brightness keys on keyboard. There are other issues as well and I think the BIOS is not stable yet. Just some of my thought on this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
PaulTsai
1 Copper

I agree with Nexus moon.

Dell software prohibits me to flash it back to 1.0.5 version (last stable one)

So i guess it's kind of stuck.

Alienware needs to fix the BIOS issue with either external amplifier or a more global NVIDIA driver problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nexus Moon
2 Iron

Hey, the Mod just posted an update on this thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Laptops/Alienware-Update-App-vs-SupportAssist/m-p/6127009/h...

Sad part is they did not mention anything about flashing back old BIOS lol

PaulTsai
1 Copper

Hi NexusMoon,

Thanks for the heads up !

0 Kudos