Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2019 19:00

Alienware 15 R3 startup issues (maybe OS?)

So my laptop seems to start up just fine initially. It’ll go through the normal Alienware screen and get to the windows log in area. Facial recognition signs me in and normally it would take me to my desktop. With all my icons and background and what not. Instead it shows me a black screen and at the bottom the windows 10 bar (with the windows menu icon and the clock) sits there and flashes on and off(doesn’t have any of my personal icons there just the menu icons in the bottom left and the clock in the bottom right) . Won’t let me select anything and I can’t access internet or any files. Keyboard still works as I can press Ctrl+Alt+Dlt and turn off my laptop. Suggestions as to a fix? Read some troubleshoot articles and ran a diagnostic, found out there are no hardware problems so that’s why I assume it’s a problem with the Windows 10 OS. 

3 Posts

January 8th, 2019 14:00

Decided to just reset the computer, keeping my personal files. Seems to have fixed my problem. Frustrating that I’m gonna have to redownload a lot of my apps. But not the end of the world. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 8th, 2019 05:00

Sounds like Windows 10 is corrupt or possibly a virus. Can you boot into safe mode and do you get a normal screen there? If so try running an anti virus scan in safe mode. If that looks good, you can try a repair.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/cold-boot-to-safe-mode-in-windows-10/8575b25d-91af-4696-8623-69c59820ca70?auth=1

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/repair-windows-10

3 Posts

January 8th, 2019 06:00

Could load into safe mode. Similar black screen but I did have some of my desktop icons in there. Tried to open windows menu to run anti-virus scan but neither windows key or clicking on the icon would respond. Tried to open separate antivirus program but that wouldn’t open either. 

No Events found!