_OCB
Bronze

Alienware 15 R4 Command Center Bugs

I'm having 3 different problems with Alienware Command Center 5.1.27.0.

1) The power button light can't be customized in any way. There are only 7 items in the AlienFX screen, but the power button is labeled as number 8. This seems to be the cause of the problem.

2) The power button light will remain off when the "Go Dark" option is selected. This occurs when the system is shut down or restarted. After this, the power button light will remain off, even when "Go Dark" is deselected. However, all the other lights turn on again.

3) Custom fan profile settings are ignored completely. They have no effect on the fan speed at any CPU temperature.

Hopefully someone has a solution to these problems.

Things I've tried so far:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling Alienware Command Center

- Choosing the "repair" option in Windows 10 Apps and features in Settings.

11 Replies
obzerving
Bronze

Re: Alienware 15 R4 Command Center Bugs

I can confirm that I've experienced the same things you described with my AW 15 R4. I had to uninstall and reinstall command center to get the power switch to light up again.

0 Kudos
BonesB
Silver

Hi. I dont think its a bug i think its just a bad interface. If you click on the number 8 that points to the power button you should be able to change it. (dont click on the power button, nothing will happen)

Awful piece of software!.

0 Kudos
obzerving
Bronze

I can't speak for _OCB, but I was aware that clicking on the 8 gives you the opportunity to change the power switch lighting. The problem is that the changes didn't actually affect the power switch light.

0 Kudos
BonesB
Silver

After clicking the 8 and making the change, are you saving the theme?
Because all the other lit areas change immediately when you click and change them. The power switch will not change until you have saved the theme.
0 Kudos
obzerving
Bronze

I clicked the save button before leaving the page. BonesB ,  you haven't said whether you have a 15 R4 and are not experiencing this particular issue with version 5.1.27.0 of the Command Center.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BonesB
Silver

I have a 17 R5 but i did have a 17 R4 which probably had the same software. So just going by memory really.

Its a really horrible piece of software.

_OCB
Bronze

@BonesB wrote:
After clicking the 8 and making the change, are you saving the theme?
Because all the other lit areas change immediately when you click and change them. The power switch will not change until you have saved the theme.

Ok on the 15 R4 this doesn't work. I tried to change it by clicking the 8, making changes to the color, and then saving the theme. Unfortunately, nothing happens. It stays exactly the same. This means that the actual settings are not being updated. It's also possible that it's a bug in the firmware for the lighting control chip.

I actually had the 17 R4 before I got the 15 R4, and the 17 didn't have any of these issues. The command center worked a lot better on the previous gen. Dell has improved a lot and I think their support is very good now. But as a programmer, I am very disappointed when they release software like this. I wish I had the source code so I could fix it myself.

0 Kudos
BonesB
Silver

So if you are using the R4 are your lighting profiles being saved in your "my documents alienware command center" folder?

Just interested to see if they are actually being saved somewhere.

0 Kudos
obzerving
Bronze

I do have a 15 R4. I checked the Documents (there is no "My Documents") folder and didn't see anything similar to alienware command center in it. However, I did see something similar in C:\ProgramData\Alienware\Alienware Command Center. There is a folder named FXMetadata with a few json files in it. By the way, I am now on version 5.2.0.0 of Command Center and the problem persists.

0 Kudos