I'm having 3 different problems with Alienware Command Center 126.96.36.199.
1) The power button light can't be customized in any way. There are only 7 items in the AlienFX screen, but the power button is labeled as number 8. This seems to be the cause of the problem.
2) The power button light will remain off when the "Go Dark" option is selected. This occurs when the system is shut down or restarted. After this, the power button light will remain off, even when "Go Dark" is deselected. However, all the other lights turn on again.
3) Custom fan profile settings are ignored completely. They have no effect on the fan speed at any CPU temperature.
Hopefully someone has a solution to these problems.
Things I've tried so far:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Alienware Command Center
- Choosing the "repair" option in Windows 10 Apps and features in Settings.
I can confirm that I've experienced the same things you described with my AW 15 R4. I had to uninstall and reinstall command center to get the power switch to light up again.
Hi. I dont think its a bug i think its just a bad interface. If you click on the number 8 that points to the power button you should be able to change it. (dont click on the power button, nothing will happen)
Awful piece of software!.
I can't speak for _OCB, but I was aware that clicking on the 8 gives you the opportunity to change the power switch lighting. The problem is that the changes didn't actually affect the power switch light.
I clicked the save button before leaving the page. BonesB , you haven't said whether you have a 15 R4 and are not experiencing this particular issue with version 188.8.131.52 of the Command Center.
I have a 17 R5 but i did have a 17 R4 which probably had the same software. So just going by memory really.
Its a really horrible piece of software.
After clicking the 8 and making the change, are you saving the theme?
Because all the other lit areas change immediately when you click and change them. The power switch will not change until you have saved the theme.
Ok on the 15 R4 this doesn't work. I tried to change it by clicking the 8, making changes to the color, and then saving the theme. Unfortunately, nothing happens. It stays exactly the same. This means that the actual settings are not being updated. It's also possible that it's a bug in the firmware for the lighting control chip.
I actually had the 17 R4 before I got the 15 R4, and the 17 didn't have any of these issues. The command center worked a lot better on the previous gen. Dell has improved a lot and I think their support is very good now. But as a programmer, I am very disappointed when they release software like this. I wish I had the source code so I could fix it myself.
So if you are using the R4 are your lighting profiles being saved in your "my documents alienware command center" folder?
Just interested to see if they are actually being saved somewhere.
I do have a 15 R4. I checked the Documents (there is no "My Documents") folder and didn't see anything similar to alienware command center in it. However, I did see something similar in C:\ProgramData\Alienware\Alienware Command Center. There is a folder named FXMetadata with a few json files in it. By the way, I am now on version 184.108.40.206 of Command Center and the problem persists.