Dicekt
1 Copper

Alienware 15 R4 M.2 Slots Question

Good morning!

I understand the laptop has 3 SSD slots, and the two M.2 2280's have different compatibilities. One is SATA/PCIe NVMe compatible, the other is just PCIe NVMe.

I ordered mine with just one SSD installed, no other hard drives. My question is... Was the pre-installed hard drive installed at the PCIe/SATA slot or the PCIe slot? Which slot is which? 

Thank you,

Andrew

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 R4 M.2 Slots Question

Hi @Dicekt,

15r4 storage.PNG

Here is the storage information for your system.

What pre-installed SSD do you have?

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Dicekt
1 Copper

Hi @Alienware-Eimy,

Thank you for your quick reply!

The preinstalled SSD is a 512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 SSD (make/model not specified).

Is there a standard as to where this should have been installed (which slot)? Or do I need to open up to check?

Thank you,

Andrew

0 Kudos

It should be installed on the PCIe slot. One of the 2280 ones.

You can open it up and check, or check the service manual online.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Dicekt
1 Copper

@Alienware-Eimy

Well I understand it has to be installed in one of the 2280 slots, just wondering which one since only one is SATA compatible.

The Setup and Specifications PDF does not say which slot (1, 2, or 3) is the PCIe only slot. I am wondering which slot is PCIe and SATA compatible, to know where to install a SATA SSD.

Thank you!

-Andrew

0 Kudos

@Dicekt,

SSD1 is PCIe/SATA.
SSD2 is SATA.
Half Size is PCIe/SATA

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Toasty69
1 Copper

The chart above states all three can handle Pcle? I have just purchased the same laptop.
0 Kudos
Silencer_SG
1 Copper

Same laptop.

I've bought and installed an M.2 SATA WD Blue SSD - Device Manager, Disk Manager, BIOS, all can't detect the drive!

What's going on Dell!

0 Kudos