Highlighted

Alienware 15 r3 CPU critical overheating

I've got my 15r3 this summer and it worked very well for about 1 month. During gaming it kept low tempratures with quite loud cooling (as intened) and it was giving me perfomance I needed.

However after some time I started noticing that it overheats in some games (e.g. crew 2) reaching 95 degees cecium and causing intense stuttering and making most new games unplayable. Furthermore it can reach high temperatures even if the only programm I use at the moment is Discord or Skype - sometimes it reachs 80 degrees and makes a lot of noise trying to cool down.

I noticed one thing my fans are working different, not like before - airflow seems to be very weak. During my own investigation I noticed that some people in YT comments here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbpVMU7Q9w&t=0s&index=2&list=LLmBXdH366b6ylihN5IoT_jg had similar problem. Some even said that BIOS 1.2.4 made their fans spinnig in other direction. I don't know how true that is but it made me be suspitious about BIOS. Recently I updated to vertion 1.5.0 but it chaged nothing:(

I tried turning on fan perfomance mode (or whatever it's called) in BIOS and it changed nothing besides making a lot of noise. I also reinstalled mi Windows just in case, but it didn't help either.

Rhight now I think that it is somethig wrong with BIOS and not with fans (they spinned quite loud during perfomance mode). Support assist stess test showing no results. However BIOS stess test said that my thermal sensors are out of range. What could this mean? 

Please help! I am competely lost.

SkypePhoto_20180915_7_39_59 PM.jpg

Bios errors and bios downgrade - Alienware This process can be done to fix any type of BIOS issues that might occur when updating or simply by regular use. Tool: https://rufus.akeo.ie/ If you require assistance, leave us a comment below or contact us through any of our other social networks ...
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 r3 CPU critical overheating

Hi @stillblackadder,

1. You can try to rollback to a previous BIOS version with a bootable USB.

2-1. Disable NVIDIA G-SYNC (applicable on G-SYNC supported Model Only)
    a. Right-click on Desktop
    b. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
    c. Click Set up G-SYNC in left menu
    d. Uncheck the Enable G-SYNC 
    e. Click Apply
2-2. Restart the system and enter into BIOS by pressing F2 during POST
2-3. Go to Advanced tab, select Performance Options and press Enter
2-4. Configure the CPU Performance Mode to Enabled
2-5. Configure the Core Over Clocking Level to OC LV 3 and press Enter
2-6. Press F10 to Save and Exit

3. Boot up the system and run the stress test with pre-installed software Dell SupportAssist.  
Dell SupportAssist > Hardware Checkup > CPU > CPU stress test 

4. Launch the Alienware Command Center, go to Fusion and monitor the CPU frequency. Ensure the CPU frequency is in the range during the first 5 mins:

Intel Processor i9-8950HK in Overclocked level 3 mode 2900MHz - 5000MHz
Intel Processor i7-8750H in Performance mode  2200MHz - 4100MHz
Intel Processor i7-5-8300H in Performance mode  2300MHz - 4000 MHz

5. Monitor the CPU temperature not greater than 100 degree C

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Thank you for reply!

I'll try this tomorow. But how exactly it will make my fans spin normaly? Also, it was imposible to downgrade from BIOS 1.2.4, is it paussible to do it with 1.5.0? If yes, wich version should I choose?

0 Kudos

You didn't reply me about wich BIOS should I use and if it is paussible - in any way I see no use in rollback to 1.2.4 - it is praubably there where my problem started.
So I did the thing with sterss test. After disabling G-SYNC, I went to BIOS, enabled CPU perfomance mode, I haven't seen any option configure the Core Over Clocking Level to OC LV 3. Either way, I continued with your instructions and ended up with folowing result.

1.JPG2.JPG

As you can see my old command didn't have such option as monitoring frequencies or tepuratures so I had to use another programm.
During this test I noticed wierd cycle.
1. Undrer high presure (by high I mean even 25%) some cores heat up to 100 degrees C.
2.Stutterig happens. CPU gets undervaulted to 798 Mhz.
3.Temputures instantly drops from 89 - 100 degrees to 61 - 66 degrees (???? How is that paussible?)
4. After 1-2 seconds temeratures go up to previous level. Then go to point 2 again.
The hole cycle takes about 3-4 seconds and goes until CPU pressure returns to max level of 15 %. Or like now with 4% temps are about 55 degrees.
Also during the stress test I noticed one, in my opinion, important thing. I could fell almost no airflow neither on the left or the right of my laptop. Back in august, when I had just got it, it had quite impressive stream of hot air going out on the left. And right now almost no hot air goes out even from any of the fans when it clearly should. I just do not know what causes it...

I hope for your later assistance.

0 Kudos

For some reason none of my images wouldn't load. I'll try one more time. But if it doesnt work again imform me please how can I tansmit it to youInked0_LI.jpg

1.JPGcycle 1

2.JPGcycle 2

0 Kudos

@stillblackadder,

Please send me a PM with the Service Tag so I can assist you further.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos