Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

October 13th, 2018 18:00

15 R3, doesn't run the integrated graphics

I have a strange problem here completely the opposite to what people normally complain about.
I have a Alienware 15r3 and although the bios and windows itself sees both the Intel HD Graphics 630 and also the nVidia  GTX1070 for some strange reason, ONLY the GTX 1070 is being used even in windows (normal desktop stuff) and no matter what I do, I can't switch to the Intel HD Graphics 630. The problem is that using the GTX 1070 is going to consume more battery. My previous Alienware laptops all used the integrated HD for normal desktop stuff and only switched to the nVidia GPU when you opened a game. I was hoping someone has come across this before and will know what can be done about it.
All drivers are installed including the nVidia and Intel HD 630 as well as the intel motherboard drivers.

When opening the nVidia control panel I ONLY see the GTX 1070 and there are no options to use any other GPU (doesn't show the option Preferred Graphics Processor neither Run with Graphics Processor). It's like windows itself doesn't see the other integrated GPU (well, it sees it in the device list).

Any ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

October 14th, 2018 04:00

Do you have a Gsync enabled panel? If you do the Intel GPU is disabled due to Gsync and there is no way to use the iGPU.  

October 14th, 2018 09:00

I've already disabled GSYNC in the Nvidia Control Panel but nothing has changed, everything continues working through GTX 1070... =( Or is there any other way to disable this?

October 14th, 2018 10:00

And also does not appear the option in windows (Run with Graphics Processor) and in the Nvidia Control Panel (Preferred Graphics Processor) as it should appear! Here are two pictures for example ... Does anyone know why?

2.jpg1.jpg

31 Posts

October 18th, 2018 13:00

Where is TECH SUPPORT on this Question?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 12:00

Hi @Daniel_Heras,

Even with GSync disabled, if you have a GSync panel, the LCD is connected to the Nvidia card and the Intel card is never used.

1 Message

July 10th, 2020 14:00

Here's how to fix the problem: Press FN + F7 to switch between Intel HD Graphic 630 (integrated graphics) and GTX 1070 (discreet graphic card). Make sure you installed the required Intel HD Graphic 630 driver. My new Alienware m15 r3 doesn't come with one which I must go to Intel website and download the driver.
      Using Intel integrated graphic will increase the battery life of your laptop a lot as the GTX graphic consume a lot of energy. Only use GTX for gaming and other general tasks should be handled easily by the integrated graphic.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 10th, 2020 16:00

A quick note:

Switching from Discrete to Integrated using the FN key plus F7 requires a restart to get the changes applied.

Hope Your problems fixed.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 4th, 2020 16:00

Yup.

Nothing happens when I press FN + F7.....

Thanks so much for this...

Just bought my new m15 r3 and I'd like to use it for gaming but also just browsing / low level stuff and I've been trying to figure out how to extend the battery life. I think this has done it! With 58% left, I have an estimated 3hr 37min left...

I pressed FN + F7, it restarted and worked.... I didn't download any drivers, so presumably they were already installed.

Now, when I want to game using the graphics card, I assume I just press FN + F7 to return?

Cheers!

As mentioned above, I switched to integrated graphics and in the AWCC I can see that the GPU isn't being used now, with just the odd flick into 300 MHz but the usage is now 0%.

I hit FN + F7 again to see if it flipped back to the dedicated card and it didn't. Should I expected it to or will it now automatically startup when required?

September 4th, 2020 17:00

Update!

The updates went through extremely quickly - this machine is soo fast...

After that the FN + F7 worked.... I could choose performance mode... I haven't done, but it clearly stated to choose the discrete graphics card and restart

Thanks again

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 4th, 2020 17:00

Pretty much,

this happened on my 17 R4 and it automatically turned back on after playing a game.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 4th, 2020 20:00

You're welcome dude.

If you want, its optional but if you could mark my answer as your solution that would be amazing but again its optional.

September 5th, 2020 03:00

Happy to - if I could see the button!

No Events found!