98silvz71
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 - No Video with 8 Beeps

I have been battling this issue for about 2 months now.  I have an Alienware 17 laptop.  I have had video issues for about 8 months or so.  At first it wouldn't display anything on the screen, the backlight worked but no video, you just had to let it boot to the login screen and power cycle it until the lcd displayed like it should.  That worked for about 6 months until one day it would display anything at all and gave me the 8 beeps.  I took it home and hooked up to a hdmi monitor and it still wouldn't display anything.  I have tried replacing the motherboard, the video cable, the graphics card, moving the ram to different slots, booting with the battery in or out, removing the cmos battery numerous times and still 8 beeps.  I got it to give me 6 beeps one time after I replaced the video cable but the next power up it went to 8 beeps again.  What gives with this thing?  Is there anything I can do to it to make it work or am I up a creek.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Alienware 17 - No Video with 8 Beeps

Hello 98silvz71,

There are a few Alienware 17 models. For the most part the below chart represents the beep code errors and the failures. The 8 beep code represents an LCD failure.

The following table illustrates the Beep Codes and the possible problem:

Beep Codes
Beep Code Description Failure Coverage
1 System Board: BIOS ROM failure System Board, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
2 Memory No Memory / RAM detected
3 Chipset Error (North and South Bridge Chipset DMA/IMR/ Timer Error for Intel platform); Chipset Error System Board Chipset Failure
Time-Of-Day Clock test failure.
Gate A20 failure
Super I/O chip failure
Keyboard controller test failure.
4 RAM Read/Write failure Memory failure
5 RTC Power Fail. CMOS battery failure
6 Video BIOS Test Failure Video card / chip failure
7 CPU Cache Test Failure CPU failure
8 LCD LCD failure

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
98silvz71
1 Nickel

Yes, I understand what the beeps are. I have been dealing with this no video for about 2 months now.  I wouldn't have replaced all those parts if I was just figuring out what went wrong.  If the lcd failed shouldn't the external hdmi monitor work?  Why with all new parts does it still not get past the 8 beeps.  And it is the first Alienware 17 from 2013 or more specifically the Alienware m17x R5 Ranger.  I haven't tried to replace the lcd because no one has mentioned it before.  All my previous messages with Eimy are gone with the suggestions to try after the website was redone.  I'm sorry if I sound angry, its because I am really frustrated with this thing.  I never imagined that a $3000 laptop wouldn't last 4 years when my other 3 $1000 dells have all lasted well over 10 years. 

Alienware 17 2013 (m17x R5)

i7-4800MQ

16GB DDR3

750GB + 80GB M2 Boot

GTX780M

BD Read/DVD-R Drive

1920x1080 Matte Display (not 3d)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
radogrig
1 Copper

Thanks for information 

But I replace the motherboard and it boots but after setting up the bios it does 8 beeps again.

Do you know how to fix that?

thank you

0 Kudos
derkp
1 Copper

Are there any updates? I'm having the same issue. 

0 Kudos
FaabSmit
1 Copper

I'm having exactly this Issue as well. Tried customer service, but due to a CMOS reset they won't accept it under warranty.. Thing is, laptop booted a few times normally even after having this error and the LCD panel etc. were working just fine. Seems hard to believe the panel is defect that way.

0 Kudos
brotherfunk
1 Copper

Unfortunately, I think I've found the very inconvenient answer.  Supposedly a lot of people have experienced the same issue after 1 or more of the following: 1. Windows 10, especially if you've reverted back to 7 or 8, 2. Having the upgrade files on your drive even if you never upgraded, and 3. Installed EVGA Precision x software.

I fit all three, haha.  And everything was working fine after installing the EVGA software, but it hasn't booted again since.

These guys have the long and arduous process down:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-cle...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/evga-precision-x-and-windows-7-8-8-1-and-especially-10-brick...

I'm about to start as soon as I get my hands on an external screen, I hope.

Good luck!

0 Kudos