Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:08

January 24th, 2018 06:00

Yes, I understand what the beeps are. I have been dealing with this no video for about 2 months now.  I wouldn't have replaced all those parts if I was just figuring out what went wrong.  If the lcd failed shouldn't the external hdmi monitor work?  Why with all new parts does it still not get past the 8 beeps.  And it is the first Alienware 17 from 2013 or more specifically the Alienware m17x R5 Ranger.  I haven't tried to replace the lcd because no one has mentioned it before.  All my previous messages with Eimy are gone with the suggestions to try after the website was redone.  I'm sorry if I sound angry, its because I am really frustrated with this thing.  I never imagined that a $3000 laptop wouldn't last 4 years when my other 3 $1000 dells have all lasted well over 10 years. 

Alienware 17 2013 (m17x R5)

i7-4800MQ

16GB DDR3

750GB + 80GB M2 Boot

GTX780M

BD Read/DVD-R Drive

1920x1080 Matte Display (not 3d)

• 

16.7K Posts

January 24th, 2018 06:00

Hello 98silvz71,

There are a few Alienware 17 models. For the most part the below chart represents the beep code errors and the failures. The 8 beep code represents an LCD failure.

The following table illustrates the Beep Codes and the possible problem:

Beep Codes
Beep Code Description Failure Coverage
1 System Board: BIOS ROM failure System Board, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
2 Memory No Memory / RAM detected
3 Chipset Error (North and South Bridge Chipset DMA/IMR/ Timer Error for Intel platform); Chipset Error System Board Chipset Failure
Time-Of-Day Clock test failure.
Gate A20 failure
Super I/O chip failure
Keyboard controller test failure.
4 RAM Read/Write failure Memory failure
5 RTC Power Fail. CMOS battery failure
6 Video BIOS Test Failure Video card / chip failure
7 CPU Cache Test Failure CPU failure
8 LCD LCD failure

1 Message

June 14th, 2018 11:00

Thanks for information 

But I replace the motherboard and it boots but after setting up the bios it does 8 beeps again.

Do you know how to fix that?

thank you

1 Message

August 20th, 2018 16:00

Are there any updates? I'm having the same issue. 

3 Posts

August 21st, 2018 09:00

I'm having exactly this Issue as well. Tried customer service, but due to a CMOS reset they won't accept it under warranty.. Thing is, laptop booted a few times normally even after having this error and the LCD panel etc. were working just fine. Seems hard to believe the panel is defect that way.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2018 22:00

Unfortunately, I think I've found the very inconvenient answer.  Supposedly a lot of people have experienced the same issue after 1 or more of the following: 1. Windows 10, especially if you've reverted back to 7 or 8, 2. Having the upgrade files on your drive even if you never upgraded, and 3. Installed EVGA Precision x software.

I fit all three, haha.  And everything was working fine after installing the EVGA software, but it hasn't booted again since.

These guys have the long and arduous process down:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/evga-precision-x-and-windows-7-8-8-1-and-especially-10-bricking-systems.781467/page-23#post-10170202

I'm about to start as soon as I get my hands on an external screen, I hope.

Good luck!

7 Posts

December 14th, 2019 05:00

Sorry for leaving everyone hanging on this issue.  I did have to replace both the LCD panel and the ribbon cable.  That fixed it where it would still boot but it won't display video all the time.  The integrated Intel graphics are shot on the motherboard.  Forcing the system to only use the dedicated graphics card will get it to work most of the time.  I only leave a monitor hooked to it now.  It always works but the laptop screen will come on after a few minutes of the computer running.  Now I have started getting 1 beep for most likely motherboard failure.  I can't update to the latest bios since my battery is dead and I'm only running on AC power.  This thing just isn't worth putting any more money in.  I was hoping I could part it out and recoup some of the cost to get a new laptop but we'll see. 

And my laptop never got upgraded to Win 10.  It has always had Win 7 so the previous poster comment about Windows 10 doing it is false.  I can't even get this thing to upgrade to Win 10 due to the M2 drive being in Raid.  And it just isn't worth the hassle to wipe it clean and install Win 10 fresh. 

No Events found!