Highlighted
Viut
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 R3 will not boot, Help!

I have an alienware 17 R3 and it's been unusable since 2 weeks ago, there are 5 scenarios for this computer.

1. Computer turns on, tries to log in to windows and then turns off suddenly.

2. Computer turns on, succesfully logs into windows and then shuts down after about a minute of activity

3. Computer turns on, I go to boot options and select "diagnostic", diagnostic gets to the "testing processor part" and then shuts down.

4. I try to do a system restore, computer stays on for about 45 minutes (while the restore is going on), fan actually turns on at about 90% so I know the cpu is working (normal temps). System restore gets to 100% and then computer shuts off.

5. I try to boot linux off a usb and system shuts off.

I would like to think the cpu is failing but scenarios 2 and 4 really throw me off.

I have tried: 

- Re-insterting ram 

-cleaning dust inside computer

-changing thermal paste

-usb boot

-restore windows

The cpu and motherboard do not look burnt. I really can't think of anything else to try and I'm not even sure whats causing the issue. Can anyone please help me identify whats wrong and find a solution?

Labels (5)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ThomasAAT
2 Iron

Re: Alienware 17 R3 will not boot, Help!

What BIOS version do you have? If 1.4.4 that may be the issue. There is a new one out 1.6.1. If you manage do download and run the new bios it may been a try.

0 Kudos
Viut
1 Nickel

BIOS version 1.2.3, still going to try downloading and running the newest one though

0 Kudos
Viut
1 Nickel

System BIOS did update correctly but the problem persists :Sad: , any other idea as to what could be causing it?

0 Kudos
quazzi
1 Nickel

Bump,

Same here in my m18xr2. Only ran me 3300 usd. No big deal

0 Kudos
bomae09
2 Iron

Hi, If the problem started when you where in bios 1.2.3 most likely your dc cable is burnt.. Check the DC cable which is next to the battery cable.. If it is burnt try buying a new cable and hope everything works.. 

0 Kudos
Viut
1 Nickel

It does look like the dc cable is at least partially burnt. I will buy a replacement and if it works come back in a week to close thread.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
bomae09
2 Iron

Which bios are you on? If you have not updated yet please install bios 1.3.12 as it is the most stable.. hope this helps.. 

0 Kudos