I have an alienware 17 R3 and it's been unusable since 2 weeks ago, there are 5 scenarios for this computer.
1. Computer turns on, tries to log in to windows and then turns off suddenly.
2. Computer turns on, succesfully logs into windows and then shuts down after about a minute of activity
3. Computer turns on, I go to boot options and select "diagnostic", diagnostic gets to the "testing processor part" and then shuts down.
4. I try to do a system restore, computer stays on for about 45 minutes (while the restore is going on), fan actually turns on at about 90% so I know the cpu is working (normal temps). System restore gets to 100% and then computer shuts off.
5. I try to boot linux off a usb and system shuts off.
I would like to think the cpu is failing but scenarios 2 and 4 really throw me off.
I have tried:
- Re-insterting ram
-cleaning dust inside computer
-changing thermal paste
The cpu and motherboard do not look burnt. I really can't think of anything else to try and I'm not even sure whats causing the issue. Can anyone please help me identify whats wrong and find a solution?
What BIOS version do you have? If 1.4.4 that may be the issue. There is a new one out 1.6.1. If you manage do download and run the new bios it may been a try.
Hi, If the problem started when you where in bios 1.2.3 most likely your dc cable is burnt.. Check the DC cable which is next to the battery cable.. If it is burnt try buying a new cable and hope everything works..