Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

B

1 Message

November 3rd, 2018 20:00

17 R4, heat issues

Hello Dell Community,

I have had some heat related issues lately gaming on my Alienware 17 Laptop which I purchased this past Christmas. On certain games that I would run on this laptop, even when completely unblocked and air flow free, the GPU would heat up to upwards to 85 degrees Celsius, even when running Black Ops 4 on medium to high settings. MY CPU also appears to be running farily high, a around 84 degrees Celsius. My specs are as follows.

Intel Core i7 7700 2.80GHz

16.0 GB RAM 1197MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Dell)

Alienware 17 R4 Motherboard (U3E1)

I am also using a LCD TV (1920x1080 60Hz) as a monitor.

Please help, Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 5th, 2018 13:00

Hi @Bredstyxx,

The temperatures that your system is presenting are normal for this model.

1 Message

December 7th, 2018 21:00

I have the same problem.  I bought the top of the line R4 and can't play games with the laptop on my lap due to the excessive heat.  Are you saying that a $5k laptop is designed to get too hot to place on my lap when playing games even at lower than optimal settings?

December 9th, 2018 22:00

@skeemin wrote:

I have the same problem.  I bought the top of the line R4 and can't play games with the laptop on my lap due to the excessive heat.  Are you saying that a $5k laptop is designed to get too hot to place on my lap when playing games even at lower than optimal settings?

Let me get this straight...

your going to complain... that the laptop is to hot on your lap??

....really?? ok, #1 you NEVER put a laptop on your lap to game. It needs to be on a flat surface and this has been the normal sense Laptop gpu's started way back when. Doesn't matter the manufacturer. They are NOT designed to be played ON your LAP.

You WILL suffer burns from heat exposure.

So.. in Short.. YES... a $5,000 laptop will burn your lap if your using it ON YOUR LAP.

Because, they are designed to be used.. on a FLAT Surface, like a TABLE. This unit is NOT a PC you can use on your LAP. They are LABLED... DESK-TOP REPLACEMENT Laptops....

... I wonder if this guy is serious.. or just trolling.. Hopefully.. neither.

(edited)

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 28th, 2021 19:00

Alienware push performance and Intel CPUs designed for desktops, run hot at up to 100ºC in Dell laptops. These laptops should be used on a table or tray with the bottom rear air gap increased so that it gets maximum air flow. Please be reminded that 100ºC is the temperature of boiling water. 

No Events found!