Highlighted
Xenxen
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 R4 Heat Issues

I've been having heating issues with my laptop, up to 70-90+°c. Definitely over 90 when playing VR. And I know you guys say that "These temperatures are normal for this model", but that doesn't cut it. My laptop is getting so hot that the cpu is being thermal throttled (Seen it happen using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) dropping the cpu speed from 3.2ghz to 0.8ghz, making games extremely laggy and unplayable. I've even taken the entire machine apart and replace the stock thermal paste with a high-end paste, and I know I didnt damage it since I was grounded and used the proper tools, it was also doing this BEFORE I've taken it apart. I've lagged on almost every game I've played and I really don't know what else I could do to reduce the temperatures. I've ready tried cleaning it out and propping it up to get more airflow for the vents. 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R4 Heat Issues

Hi @Xenxen,

What video driver version are you using?

1. Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

1. Configure G-Synch

1. Disable the NVidia G-Synch (only applicable on G-Synch supported models.)

1. Right click on the desktop

2. Select the Nvidia Control Panel

3. Click on Set up G-Synch in the left hand side menu

4. Uncheck the box next to Enable G-Synch

5. Click on Apply

2. Restart the PC and enter the BIOS by tapping rapidly on the F2 key during POST

3. Navigate to the Advanced tab and select Performance Options and press the Enter key

4. Change the CPU Performance Mode to Enabled

5. Set the Core OverClocking Level to OC LV 3 and press the Enter key

6. Press the F10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS

2. When the system boots up, using the pre-installed software Dell SupportAssist run the stress test.

Dell SupportAssist > Hardware Checkup > CPU > CPU stress test

Stress Test

3. Launch the Alienware Command Center and go to Fusion and monitor the CPU frequency. Ensure that the CPU frequency is within the range during the first 5 minutes

Performance Mode + Highest Level OC (If Applicable) CPU Frequency
Intel Processor i9-8950HK in Overclocked level 3 mode 2900MHz~5000MHz
Intel Processor i7-8750H in performance mode 2200MHz~4100MHz
Intel Processor i5-8300H in performance mode 2300MHz~4000MHz

1. Monitor the CPU temperature on the Fusion page

• The CPU peak temperature should be less than or equal to (≤) 100 ℃

• When under high stress, the system average temperature can be expected to be up to (≤) 95 ℃

Fusion Page

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Daveju
1 Nickel

Oh man, the help from mods isn't very good lol. If you're pushing your 17r4 that hard, it's going to hit those thermals. Hard as in above 3.2ghz 90%+ CPU utilization, and similiar with GPU. The only way to offset this is to undervolt your CPU and/or repasting your thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU. Trust me, I had a 17R4 and had it running at 4.4ghz on all 4 cores and only hitting maybe 85C at most. Don't remember exactly, but I know it never reached thermal throttling, even in the hardest stress tests. Also, monitor your cores and ensure that they're all within a reasonable range of temperature when under a stress test, lets say 9C. If not, you have some issues with your heat sink. My recommendation is to repaste with liquid metal as you'll see cooling of up to 20C. You'll need to repaste every 10-20 months though, depending on usage, so keep that in mind.

0 Kudos
Xenxen
1 Nickel

I'm not pushing the laptop is anyway shape of form haha, I would only be playing a single game with no other applications running in the background. For example, Guild Wars 2 at low graphics settings makes the PC pretty spicy, a single VR game makes it thermal throttle. 

And liquid metal isn't an option, I carry this laptop everywhere, it's on the move daily, which will make the liquid metal move and short the CPU.

0 Kudos
Xenxen
1 Nickel

Hello! I've updated my BIOS, my video drivers and the rest of the PC. CPU performance mode is already enabled, and I cannot overclock or underclock the CPU as it isn't unlocked, it's a i7-7700HQ instead of a K. I also can't seem to find the stress test option anywhere, could you include more details? 

And oh thats disappointing, I just got this laptop and you guys already released a brand new version. Rip my money.

0 Kudos

@Xenxen,

You can try standard repaste with diamond grade thermal paste. Otherwise, you can underclock using 3rd party apps available out there. If you need it, I can send a tech to do the repaste, but the thermal paste would be the same brand as the one you currently have. Users have found better results with Kryonaut, Arctic Silver and some other aftermarket brands.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Xenxen
1 Nickel

Darn, I'm already using Kyronaut on my device, I guess I can take it apart and try cleaning it out and repasting it again with what I have left of my kyronaut. I'll look into underclocking it if the device continues to be difficult after the repaste, thanks for the suggestions!

@Alienware-Eimy wrote:

@Xenxen,

You can try standard repaste with diamond grade thermal paste. Otherwise, you can underclock using 3rd party apps available out there. If you need it, I can send a tech to do the repaste, but the thermal paste would be the same brand as the one you currently have. Users have found better results with Kryonaut, Arctic Silver and some other aftermarket brands.

0 Kudos

@Xenxen,

Ok, let me know if you need something else!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Dreadswizzard
1 Copper

Mine has heat issues as well I've found that turning on fan performance mode, replacing the stock tim, undervolting CPU and GPU through Intel xtu( for CPU) and software such as msi afterburner( for GPU) to keep temps below 90°c but you have to be careful with undervolting because it can cause crashing I recommend doing several stress tests to check stability. It also helps to seal the gaps between the fans and heatsinks with tape.

0 Kudos
Xenxen
1 Nickel

Undervolted, applied new thermal paste and I'm keeping the vents cleared. Still getting a temps up to 97°c. Nice, I got a 4000 dollar paperweight. 

0 Kudos