Highlighted
Paulym654
1 Copper

Alienware 17 R4 keyboard issue

I have an Alienware 17 R4 - it's about 18 months old, but it's barely been used. When I did go to use it recently it was acting like the "4" key on the number pad was being continuously pressed (or possibly pressed for a short time, released for a short time and the pressed again, etc). Honestly, the laptop has been used so little that I doubt that the key has been pressed more than 100 times in total. It's been like this for several weeks now and it's unusable. I've removed the individual key to see if anything looked odd, but there wasn't really anything to see. It's weird because it seems to happen more at some times than others. If I hit the Windows button, after 1 second, the programs disappear because a "4" appears in the search box (followed quickly by more 4s). But if I open a blank Word document, it can sit there for a while and no 4s appear. It may be a coincidence, but the "Left" key is now also playing up (BTW, I have num lock on, so it's not the 4 key doing its other thing). Does anyone have any advice? I've seen suggestions that there could be software issues, but I guess it could also be a physical issue. Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Alienware 17 R4 keyboard issue

Connect an external keyboard and see if the issue continues. If not the keyboard is at fault. if the issue remains then boot into safe mode and see if the issue persists in safe mode. If not then it is a software issue with a program in Windows 10.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Paulym654
1 Copper

Re: Alienware 17 R4 keyboard issue

Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying - I was trying to get hold of a USB keyboard... When I (finally) got hold of one (and disabled the built-in keyboard) I still got the random "4"s and left arrow key inputs (actually, I still got them with no operative keyboard, USB keyboard unplugged and built-in keyboard disabled). So, it looks like this isn't a hardware problem.  When I rebooted in safe mode there was no issue.  So, if it's a software problem with a program in Windows 10, how do I narrow it down to the particular software?  Thanks

0 Kudos