Labrys67
Copper

Alienware 17 R4 - screen doesn't show anything when booting up

Hello,

I bought the Alienware 17 R4 about 3 months ago...and in the past month I have had the screen not start up when I turn the laptop on...it's happened twice. I believe the laptop is running as you can see the lights, etc on the keyboard and below the screen. I've had to hold the power down until it shuts off then when I restart it, it goes to recovery...I hit restart PC and it seems to start ok. Is this a known issue? Any help would be appreciated. Below are the specs in case that may be of importance:

Alienware 17 R4

6820HK

1070GTX

1080p screen with tobii tracking

256gb SSD/1TB HDD

16GB RAM

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R4 - screen doesn't show anything when booting up

Hi @Labrys67,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let me know if you receive any errors. 

Make sure the BIOS is up to date, as well as the video drivers. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Labrys67
Copper

Hello,

I did the diagnostic you suggested and it didn't find any errors. I did check and update my BIOS to the latest firmware that was released yesterday.

It happens occasionally almost like there's a loose connection between the screen and the laptop itself. I do notice an occasional flicker also but I don't know if it's the same issue or something else.

Any help would be appreciated,

0 Kudos

Try by moving the lid (up and down) to see if you notice any flickering. 

Let me know!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Copper

Same problem my 17R4.
Sometimes it won't startup after a normal shutdown.
only blank screen with a mouse pointer. Touch-pad is beeping (with echo) on touching.
Keyboard not responding. Coldstart(long press button) restart required
Diag shows all good.

Maybe this laptop is too fast for Windows

Seriously i think there is a bug on some driver.

0 Kudos
Ecthaelion
Copper

Re: Alienware 17 R4 - screen doesn't show anything when boot

Alienware 17 R5, and I have the same issue. Shutdown, Boot up and black screen with nothing what so ever on it. Never get any boot info, nada. FX lighting still works. get some sounds sometimes, touchpad still lights up when touched. Long press of power and a reboot and it comes back up just fine. Really annoying for a $4000 machine.

PopeCat
Copper

Having the same exact issue.

0 Kudos

This happens after you update the bios( and overheating issue as well LOL). You can go to device manager => disable Intel HD Graphic Card and it should fix it. 

0 Kudos