Shadea
Bronze

Alienware 17 R4 unknown ac adapter

Hi

I have a Alienware 17 R4

It wont charge more then 56%. or stops doing it 10 sec after i plugged in the cable.

Bios says:
AC Adapter is unknown and i get pop up window when starting the laptop.

Things i have tried:
taking the AC adapter on/off multi times..

Updating Bios to newest version.

unplugging the battery and holding down start button for 2 mins.

Starting the laptop without battery connected. laptop runs but still get unknown power cable message when starting.

updating software.

running diagnostics

Even though i got this Dec. 2016 its been running like 100 hours tops... That's just NOT good enough compared to the price i payed for this thing.

Anyone have ideas on what to do?

Kim

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R4 unknown ac adapter

@Shadea wrote:

Hi

I have a Alienware 17 R4

It wont charge more then 56%. or stops doing it 10 sec after i plugged in the cable.

Bios says:
AC Adapter is unknown and i get pop up window when starting the laptop.

Things i have tried:
taking the AC adapter on/off multi times..

Updating Bios to newest version.

unplugging the battery and holding down start button for 2 mins.

Starting the laptop without battery connected. laptop runs but still get unknown power cable message when starting.

updating software.

running diagnostics

Even though i got this Dec. 2016 its been running like 100 hours tops... That's just NOT good enough compared to the price i payed for this thing.

Anyone have ideas on what to do?

Kim

Who makes your brick??? There is a batch out there made by another company, that shipped with Alienware's that weren't up to spec... you could be one if its made by anyone other than DELL. While there is no fire issue which is why no recalls were made,  my 15 R3 shipped with one that would cut off if I did any video games so they sent me a new one free. Late now sense your warranty is up, but you can always find a Dell one on Amazon for cheaper then what Dell would have you pay for $80 and some change generally..) I found one for my wife's 15 R2 for $55.

0 Kudos
Shadea
Bronze

Here is the ac adapter that came with the laptop.

But i don't understand why it says 255w in that test when its a 240w adapter ?

0 Kudos

Hi @Shadea,

Looks like the AC Adapter needs replacement, if the system has warranty, send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you further. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Shadea
Bronze

Its not the adapter just tried a new one.

What other options are there?

mobo or the Power input jack?

0 Kudos

@Shadea,

Yes, the DC Jack in or the motherboard 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos