Highlighted
Hstanez
1 Nickel

Alienware 17 R5 Core i9 with AGA GTX1080Ti Results

Just successfully installed the Graphic Amplifier to the Alienware 17 R5 with Core i9. It took me such a long time to get it right, because the Nvidia laptop driver wasn't able to pick up the GTX1080Ti and the graphic amplifier wasn't detected. I tried doing loopback mode to run the GTX1080Ti on the internal screen, but it didn't work. So the result is using external monitor. (direct output from the graphic card, not going from the laptop, because it only picks up the internal GTX1080). I believe this could be an interesting result to see, as I have heard from other people saying that the CPU limits the performance on the eGPU.

For the test, I only ran Fire Strike 1.1. (Sorry that I am not a professional, I only ran the test to see if there is any difference.)

Onboard internal GTX1080 Benchmark:

Graphic Amplifier with ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo. Non-overclocked and Overclocked Results:
Overclocked using ASUS GPU Tweak II:
- GPU Clock: 1756 MHz (+174)
- Memory Clock: 11527 MHz (+527)
- Fan Speed up to 100%
- Highest GPU Temperature at 67C; Average at 64C

After all, I see that there is about 10% decrease from what it can achieve while installed in a desktop. However, there is about 25-30% performance increase compare to the internal GTX1080.

So far I can understand is, there shouldn't be any bottleneck for the Graphic Amplifier and the OEM PSU is definitely enough for the card alone.

In addition: This is the result of my old Aorus X7 Pro running with 2 GTX 970M SLI. This is quite amazing to see the difference from the mobile graphic card to a deaktop-grade card.
1 Reply
TomC69
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware 17 R5 Core i9 with AGA GTX1080Ti Results

Glad to hear this is working well for you and thanks for sharing this.  Of course your nice new i9 cpu is less likely to be a bottleneck than my 17r4 i7 cpu.

0 Kudos