OnALark
1 Copper

Alienware 17 R5 Touchpad Disabled While Typing

5ith a new Alienware 17 R5, it seems that touchpad controls are extremely limited. I have need to use the keyboard and touchpad at the same time for multiple software applications, Maya (3D mesh creation tool) is one example. Alienware laptops seem to have a default that locks the touchpad when a key on the keyboard is pressed. However, in several applications, this is a necessary function. In previous Alienware laptops, I was able to turn off this default so that the keyboard and touchpad could work in concert with each other. For some reason, in the R5 release, the ability to turn off this default seems to be missing. I am working with the Dell Support and hope we can find a solution. Does anyone here have ideas on a way to address this? Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R4 Touchpad Disabled While Typing

Hi @OnALark,

You can try removing the Synaptics driver and leaving the Windows Default. You can also try a previous version of the driver or a driver that comes directly from the manufacturer, but yes, unfortunately the feature is no longer available with the last Synaptics driver.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
OnALark
1 Copper

Re: Alienware 17 R5 Touchpad Disabled While Typing

We did try to load an earlier driver and the computer will not allow this.  It blocks it saying it is not compatible with the R5 release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kylexyz001
1 Copper

Re: Alienware 17 R4 Touchpad Disabled While Typing

It's crazy that settings like this aren't adjustable out of the box every time my laptop updates I end up spending hours trying to get different touch pad drivers working properly. What kind of gaming laptop wouldn't allow mouse movements/clicks while using keyboard keys? Not everyone uses a separate mouse especially when playing relaxed non intensive games. An easy fix would be to just have a version of Synaptics installed that worked properly. Most versions of Synaptics have a menu that let you disable this annoying feature, it's called palm check. It's like the people responsible for installing the mouse drivers purposely chose the most annoying drivers they could find. Don't tell me to uninstall Synaptics and use windows default, that gets rid of all of the gestures and the mouse is much harder to control. In some laptops windows precision drivers would take over once Synaptics is uninstalled but not this one, even when installing windows precision drivers from online they won't work. I just want a way to keep my Synaptics gestures while disabling palm check without spending hours searching for and installing a driver that lets me do this. Even when I find the right driver for the job it takes multiple restarts of the laptop and is random when the updated driver becomes functional.

0 Kudos