Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CA

7 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 22:00

17 R5, weak audio?

Hi all,

Recently purchased an Alienware 17 R5 and immediately noticed the audio was subpar, even at full volume. It seems no louder or better than the average mobile phone, hardly loud enough to be heard across the average bedroom. I uninstalled the drivers, re-installed, updated them, all that stuff. I also noticed in the device manager it lists 'Realtek(R) Audio' and 'NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)'.

Thanks in advance!

January 4th, 2019 16:00

It's worse with just the built-in speakers for sure. Not as bad with headphones although presumably this is because the sound is being pumped straight into my ears. To put it into perspective, my Dell XPS 15" from almost 10 years ago has far superior sound quality and volume with speakers and headphones. Surely this isn't just how the Alienware 17 R5 is made? You would expect tremendous sound quality and decent volume. This thing is barely loud enough to be heard in the same room.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

Hi, 

Is this audio problem only happening with the speakers or does it also happen with the headphones? 

January 4th, 2019 17:00

Certainly have, should have mentioned that in the original post sorry. Everything is throttled to full. Any other Alienware 17 owners who can testify to their own experiences would be awesome. My XPS 15 practically booms at full volume.

61 Posts

Realtek High Definition Audio is what's listed in my device manager under Audio I/O and Sound,Video, and Game controllers.

Sometimes the audio isn't routed through the Command Center software and is very quiet. I downloaded the Realtek Audio Control App from the microsoft store and set up the EQ there as well. Now my audio is loud and clear no matter what app is using it.

61 Posts

have you tried adjusting the EQ in Command Center yet?

61 Posts

January 4th, 2019 18:00

Forgot to mention my system is a 15 R4. Same motherboard, speakers, and drivers as the 17 R5.

61 Posts

January 4th, 2019 21:00

Yes it should say Realtek High Definition Audio. You have the wrong drivers. My laptop is VERY loud and full sounding. Among the loudest laptops I've heard.

January 4th, 2019 21:00

Thank you for the advice MotorDonkey, but it doesn't seem to help the output at all unfortunately. Would you say that having only 'Realtek(R) Audio' in the device manager is odd then? I definitely expected it to read 'Realtek High Definition Audio'. Would you say your sound is loud when turned up to full? Mine definitely sounds fairly unremarkable and tinny.

22 Posts

January 4th, 2019 22:00

Do you have Realtek driver 6.0.1.8557 installed?

January 5th, 2019 01:00

I did definitely want to hear that it wasn't just a bad speaker they've used in their system - unfortunately the driver I have is 6.0.1.8557 (driver date 17/10/2018), which I believe is the latest. Any suggestions for a replacement driver or somesuch?
It's entirely possible that the speakers in this laptop are just faulty, but I want to make certain I can do everything possible on my end first. It's still well under warranty if that's the case.

I've played around with the equalizer settings as well and while there is a slight difference in the way the audio "sounds", it really doesn't change the volume or the tinny-ness.

As to the equalizer and audio effects settings in the Command Center, I agree that turning it off has a better effect on the volume but the sound is still tinny and not as loud as you're describing. My XPS from years ago is beside me (both playing Michael Jackson's Thriller) and the old XPS is outclassing the brand new Alienware by leaps and bounds.

22 Posts

January 5th, 2019 23:00

In the Command Center, when I turn OFF the "audio effects," the volume drops significantly. Turning the effects ON boosts the volume. Does your 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound work, that is, can you turn it On & Off and notice a difference? Just thinking that maybe your audio is not routing through the AWCC.

EDIT: Did you try adjusting the settings in the Realtek Audio Console?  This is different from the AW Command Center, but affects the audio in conjunction with the AWCC.  I set the equalizer to "none" in the Realtek Audio Console.

22 Posts

January 5th, 2019 23:00

Off topic but how do you get paragraph breaks in your post?  It is so hard to read a long post with just one paragraph.  I write the post with paragraphs, and then when it posts it is all one paragraph.

EDIT: This seems to work... click "Preview" post first before posting, then the paragraph breaks hold...

January 6th, 2019 00:00

The 7.1 does appear to be working since I can turn it On & Off and do notice a difference there. Volume is improved after following some of the steps (not by much, but every bit helps) but the tinny, poor quality of the audio persists. I put my XPS right next to it and both played the same song, and the XPS easily drowned out the Alienware. This just doesn't seem right.

Breaks are easy - just hold shift and press enter a few times. :)

22 Posts

If both Left & Right speakers are working, maybe the "subwoofer" is not working or is not plugged in...?

I have not had the bottom cover off yet, but maybe you could see if the subwoofer is not plugged in? 

Or...put your hand under the far right palm area while music is playing, and try to feel if sound is coming out of the subwoofer.  There is a vent on the bottom where sound comes out from the subwoofer.

22 Posts

I would try updating the driver again from the Dell Support page.  While the version number is the same, the date is more recent 19 November 2018. 

EDIT: My driver is 17 October 2018 as well.

No Events found!