thorzhammer
1 Copper

Alienware 17 R5

Just bought my first alien-ware laptop, booted it up, went to download chrome and it started to download then stopped. I tried downloading Firefox, same thing. I even tried to update the assist feature and again it got to 16% and stopped.

I tried it wired and wireless, same problem. I downloaded the latest driver on another computer and installed it, rebooted. Problem is still there.

Killer Wireless-AC 1550 WiFi Driver

I've never had to trouble shoot a laptop or desktop right out of the box. this is ridiculous.

Has anyone else had to deal with this problem? Found a solution? Please help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Alienware 17 R5

A number of forum posts regarding the Killer wifi cards. Try this as suggested in one of the posts.

Ok, ended up doing a chat with a very knowledgeable Dell tech support agent. They removed the network and bluetooth drivers and the Killer Software Suite. Reinstalled just the drivers without their software and it works great. Apparently that software causes a lot of weird issues. In case anyone else runs into this issue. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/New-Alienware-17r5-connection-issues/td-p/6080250

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos

Hi @thorzhammer,

Yes, as JOcean suggested, you need to uninstall the Killer software and also install the latest Killer driver from the Killer's website. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
thorzhammer
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply. I did more digging and was able to find another solution that worked great while at the same time leaving the Killer software on the laptop incase there is ever a fix for it.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Alienware-17-r5-not-connecting-to-LoL/m-p/6245983#M19142

Once I switched off "Auto Stream Detect" everything started working and i've been gaming on my new laptop every day since.

0 Kudos