Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2018 13:00

17 R5, Bluetooth failure

Hi all,

First time dell/alienware (had it 12 days) user here. Overall I am very impressed with my laptop, except for the persistent failure of the Bluetooth device. 

The Bluetooth on the laptop will frequently fail, with the following results

1. Device manager claims all Bluetooth Devices are disconnected
  2. Device manager believes I have a new and unidentifiable USB device
  3. Windows removes the option to turn Bluetooth on or off, claiming my device doesn't have a Bluetooth adaptor
  4. Event Viewer raises the following error 'The Bluetooth driver expected an HCI event with a certain size but did not receive it.'

I consider myself to be reasonably competent, being an IT professional. I have tried the following

1. Altered all the power settings
    1. ensuring the laptop doesn't go to sleep when idle
    2. ensuring USB are not deactivated to save power

The bit that concerns me the most is this happens during use. Bluetooth cuts out, all Bluetooth devices stop working and it normally requires me to completely remove all traces of the Bluetooth drivers and restart the Laptop several times before windows picks up the Bluetooth adaptor once more.

I have raised a ticket with dell, but I am curious if other users have experienced similar issues and if they did how was your problem resolved?

Many thanks,

WhoopieMonster

December 23rd, 2018 13:00

Interestingly, I've update the Killer Bluetooth drivers from the ones recommended on the Dell support site to the latest ones from the Bluetooth adaptor manufacture.

Although the event I mentioned in my OP still occurs, I've not had a single failure with the Bluetooth adaptor today. Fingers crossed!

December 26th, 2018 13:00

Just happened again, so clearly not fixed :Angry:

83 Posts

December 28th, 2018 03:00

Had the same problem. Drove me nuts.

Dont use the Killer driver. Download this driver from intel

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28267/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10

It worked for me. No more cutting out. The Killer card in your machine is made by Intel (9260)

December 28th, 2018 04:00

Thanks, I will give them a go.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2021 16:00

Just received Alienware M17 R5 new, Found that the Windows 10 and edge browser amidst other settings were out of date and needed to be configured, I love the laptop but tasks do not seem to be as easy and straight forward as what I had experienced with Windows vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8,   I am experiencing the same issues with the Blue Tooth Connection.  It shows Blue tooth under devices and states to turn it on, but the toggle button  is missing. I checked airplane mode and it does not show there, I looked under view in device sound directory under control panel and do not find bluetooth,  Clearly, this is a common problem. My device is showing USB and Code 28 unknown unsupported devices. I most likely will have to go through the same steps as the User who wrote the initial commentary - report.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2021 03:00

Please run Intel Driver & Support Assistant to automatically identify your products and get driver and software updates. 

No Events found!