Highlighted
MrCh4d
1 Copper

Alienware 17 underpowered adaptor

Hi all,

I have two Alienware laptops, an Alienware 17 and Alienware 18. The 17 comes with a 150W adaptor, the 18 comes with a 330W adaptor.

It's recently come to my attention that the Alienware 17 is not running at its full potential. I did a 3dMark benchmark the other day with the 150W adaptor plugged in, it scored around 1500. I plugged in the 330W adaptor, and the score more than doubled, to around 3500. What I'm wondering is why has Alienware coupled an underpowered power adaptor with the laptop, and what's the best way to make sure the laptop runs at full potential?

Thanks!

Chad

2 Replies
JustRoy
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware 17 underpowered adaptor

Interesting discovery.

When a laptop is on battery, it will try to conserve power and specified settings are activated. Would this also happen, when it can't draw enough power? 

Is this some bios control setting; it is happens some laptops heavily throttle the CPU/GPU.

Hope someone can reproduced it.

0 Kudos
MrCh4d
1 Copper

Re: Alienware 17 underpowered adaptor

Yes I assume it's a lack of power issue. Like you said, it's probably specific settings being activated or CPU/GPU being underclocked or throttled. I'm just confused as to why Alienware would supply a power adaptor that doesn't allow for the laptop to run at its full potential.

0 Kudos