Romanzier
1 Nickel

Alienware 17R2 and Graphic Amplifier, worth to buy?

Hello guys!

I've buy a new 4k to connect the xbox (Samsung UE43NU7400U) and i was thinking to use it also with my Alienware. I would like to try to play in 4k in that screen, but it seems hard now that any graphic card can handle this job.

Anyway, i would like to reach a good solution, even if not 4k, and probably a graphic amplifier is necessary to avoid to burn my alienware. Is it worth buying it? With whic graphic card? I'm afraid to spend too much without having a real benefit... I was thinking of a gtx 980 or a 1070 (this one is not listed in compatible cards for R2, only from R3 and newer)

Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alienware 17R2 and Graphic Amplifier, worth to buy?

Yes, and No. On one hand, you can toss in a 1070 or so. On the other hand... Majority wise, if you move to fall the Laptop CPU will be what holds the system back. Graphics AMP is great in a way, but If your planning to move to 4K, I suspect the 6th Gen Intel will hold you back from true performance. It will help SOME... but not worth the money IMO to jump to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqoKy4j61oA good example.
0 Kudos

It wont let me edit >_> Anyhoot. For an older system and 4k... sure.. but dont expect crazy fast performance is pretty much what I ment to say. There IS a review out where someone tried the 2080 RTX in the amplifier, but the performance was actually WORSE, than say the GPU that came with it. I cant find the link at this moment, but it was due to the fact the 2080 needed more Processing power. Your mileage varies.

Also, the performance of that video above, I get the same performance in my 15 R3 when it comes to benchmarks with the 1070 GTX (mobile).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Romanzier
1 Nickel

Thank you for the reply, you have been very helpful!

Anyway, i always wanted to try GA at the first moment i baught my alienware 17, so i baught it Smiley Very Happy

Now i'm deciding which graphic card to buy, i think the 1070 is the right choice as you said; i was thinking too that for 4k this is an old pc with an old processor, but only using it with my 40'' tv not in 4k worth the try. Also because using the new graphic card will improve the life of my laptop. Thinking it well, even using the amplifier with laptot screenwill be good as long as fps will boost in the right way.

P.S: I always played in desktop pcs, this alienware was my first gaming laptot, i want to use it as much as I can i'm too attached to this machine lol

A day i can use this graphic cards in a new desktop config

0 Kudos