Alienware 17R4 Screen stay black after power up

Sometimes my alienware 17R4 (I7 7820HK GTX 1080) screen just stays black after I power the laptop up. The logo on the power button lights up and Tobi Eye Tracking seem to be working but the screen just stay black. I need to hold the power button to power down the laptop and turn it back up again to fix this problem every time it happens. Is there a more permanent solution? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: Alienware 17R4 Screen stay black after power up

Hi @NamNguyen191,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date, as well as the video driver.

Also, you can try a power drain. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Hi Eimy,

Thank you for the reply. My Bios and graphic driver are up to date. I guess the last thing to try is to do a power drain, can you guide me on how to do that, do I just let the laptop run on battery until the battery ran out?

0 Kudos

@NamNguyen191,

For a power drain: unplug every external device (including the AC Adapter), open the bottom cover and disconnect the battery cable. Then hold the power button for around a minute to drain all the power out. You can use this video as reference on how to disconnect the battery cable.    

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
The Shrine
Bronze

Did you find a fix to this issue? I've had this issue on two brand new seperate AW17 R5s and have not been able to find a fix..

0 Kudos
AV0101
Bronze

I had the same issue, noticed it after an alienware OC update.  explorer eventually did kick in about 1 minute later but was not able to solve.  I also noticed a PCIe error 109.  I was unable to resolve the issue and as I was having additional issues a full clean install fixed it for me.

Did either of you get this issue after some alienware update?

0 Kudos
The Shrine
Bronze

So this happened on both brand new AW17 R5s, pretty much out of the box for me. The first machine i had for about 2-3 weeks, RMA'd it because of this issue and a couple other issues, and sadly this one has had the same issue since day 1, i've had this replacement for about 4-5 months i believe. 

I just did a completely clean install 2 days ago hoping it would solve this issue (and some crashing issues i was having due to a DCOM error), as i thought it may be software related, but unfortunately it's still happening. The only work around i have found is to have nothing plugged into the machine when i start it up (besides my mouse dongle), wait for the alienware logo to appear and then plug everything back in.

Also, when i get the black screen, it is literally just that. No BIOS, no logos, no backlight or anything, just the Alien FX lights, and sometimes i can hear the windows sounds. So maybe its an issue with the panel or drivers, i just don't know. I've been searching for an answer to this issue since day 1, i've posted on multiple threads, forums, and have not come across a fix. The only reason i dont think it is a panel issue is because it only happens on start up, it's never just turned off while gaming or using the machine.

When i contacted Dell they wanted to replace my DC in port, which frankly i'm 99% sure is not the issue, unless quality is just that bad. It's hard to believe this as a hardware issue when 2 completely seperate brand new machines have the same issue, and as someone else has said, they also had 2 different machines have this problem.

0 Kudos
morkovu
Bronze

Stay strong my friend good days will come, just have patience, i love my alienware even it's not 100% perfect, hope they will help u solve this problem too Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
The Shrine
Bronze

Thanks. So they sent a tech out (a tech that messed up my first repair, and even though on multiple occasions i told them not to send him out again, he showed up on my doorstep) today to do a motherboard swap and to change the DC IN cable  and he completely stripped the heatsink screws. So they're sending a new heatsink to me tomorrow along with extra screws so i can do the swap myself, which i had asked to do in the first place... 

Never again will i let anyone work on my computer.. Just hope the new motherboard fixes the issue. I tested the laptop today when the display wouldn't turn on and it showed on my TV, so i assume its a hardware issue from what i've read, just odd that the only issue i have is on start up with the power supply plugged in.

0 Kudos

Close the screen, and then open it again and see if it fixes it.

0 Kudos