CelticDiablo
1 Nickel

Alienware 17r5 - Are both SSD slots NVMe capable?

Jump to solution

Looking to upgrade the SSD that comes standard with the 17r5 and curious if both slots support M.2 NVMe SSDs. Thank you in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Alienware 17r5 - Are both SSD slots NVMe capable?

Jump to solution

Hi @CelticDiablo!

Two out of the three M.2 slots support Nvme M.2 SSDs. For more information, check out the system specifications on this link: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-17-r5_users-guide_en-us.pdf

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
CelticDiablo
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick repsonse. Just 1 follow up question (as the manual does not specify exactly), can either slot that supports NVMe be used for the boot drive?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sure! Any of them can be used as the boot drive. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
bhnkstr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Why do the older Alienware Laptops  have more slots for NVMe cards? (my older one has 4 x 2280 slots)
My newer laptop (R4) has 2 x 2280 slots and 1 x 2242, and it looks like the R5 has the same?  I have zero use for that 2242 slot.
Really wish I could put 4x2280 cards in a new R5 laptop. Is the size limit for NVMe really only 1TB cards?

Been waiting for the new model to come out, hoping it had 4 x 2280 slots and could take larger cards.  Guess I'll have to look at something else..

0 Kudos
bhnkstr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Also, can you explain more what the Intel Optane storage is for?  It's a full length M.2 2280 slot, but only supports 60Gb and 120Gb configurations?  I see that Intel has drives up to 960Gb with their Optane SSD line. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CKNY
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello! Do both slots support m2 Sata also? I know they support NVME, however do they both support m2 sata? 

0 Kudos
NKD11
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If your SSD is m2 sata it the slot should automatically detect it as m2 and not NVMe. Thats usually how it is.

0 Kudos
jigsaw_or
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I wanted to know can I install Samsung 970 EVO Series 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD in R5

0 Kudos
ScienceX
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

same here.

I'm interested to know how to install the install Samsung 970 EVO Series 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD for storage, not to replace my main drive.

0 Kudos