Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2018 04:00

Alienware 17r5 doesn't see the integrated graphics

I have a strange problem here completely the opposite to what people normally complain about. I have a new Alienware 17r5 (the very new one) and although the bios and windows itself sees both the HD 630 from the intel i9 CPU and also the nVidia 1080 for some strange reason, ONLY the 1080 is being used (even in windows) and no matter what I do, I can't switch to the HD. The problem is that using the 1080 is not only going to consume more battery, it's also making a lot more heat and noise for no reason. My previous Alienware laptops all used the integrated HD for normal desktop stuff and only switched to the nVidia GPU when you opened a game. I was hoping someone has come across this before and will know what can be done about it.

All drivers are installed including the nVidia and HD630 as well as the intel motherboard drivers. When opening the nVidia control panel I ONLY see the 1080 and there are no options to use any other GPU. It's like windows itself doesn't see the other integrated GPU (well, it sees it in the device list).

Any ideas?

10 Posts

May 24th, 2018 12:00

Ok, so I found a solution for the fans going all the time. Turns out the GPU isn't getting hot, it's the CPU. In the bios you have 2 settings, one for SpeedStep and another for SpeedShift. When you have both on the CPU (i9-8950) winds all the way up to well over 4ghz. This is normally fine but the problem is that it was doing it from just a 1% cpu usage which means even normal background tasks were making it get hot. I fiddled around with each setting and found that if I shut off SpeedStep but leave SpeedShift on the cpu doesn't wind up as far and there are less massive cpu spikes. The end result is the laptop is now running a lot cooler and 95% of the time the fans aren't even on which means I can finally leave it on all the time without worrying about the fans destroying themselves in a few years. Anyway, bottom line is the solution isn't to enable the integrated graphics to take the load off the nVidia GPU but rather to switch off the massive overclock it was doing all the time for no reason at all. The best part? I'm still seeing 300fps @ 1080p with Ultra settings in Overwatch which means the CPU is a BEAST and all this extra overclocking is absolutely unnecessary... The GPU appears to be the bottleneck anyway. Have fun!

• 

81 Posts

May 1st, 2018 08:00

Hi @B0ad1c3a!

The system should only use the Nvidia 1080 when necessary. If your system is making loud noise and heating up during normal tasks, please run a CPU stress test using the Support Assist tool. 

Here are the steps for the test: 

1. Download and install a temperature monitoring tool such as HWiNFO64 or RealTemp

2. Open the app once it is installed

3. Open Support Assist 

• Click on Start
    • Type Support Assist
    • Support Assist Icon should come up, click on it

*If the system doesn't have it, click here to download it*

1. Click on Checkup

2. Click on Scan a Specific Device

3. Scroll Down to System Device

4. Click on CPU

5. Select CPU Stress Test and click Run Test

Let us know what are the highest temperatures.

10 Posts

Untitled-1.jpg

10 Posts

Hi Tammy,

As you can see from the task manager, it's using the GPU1 as the main display desktop adapter.

GPU0 is nowhere to be seen.

10 Posts

Hi Tammy,

I'm 100% sure this is not the CPU overheating. The fans do calm down but the moment anything graphically intensive starts (even web browsing) the fans fire up. On further inspection I can see the GPU1 is in use for Microsoft Edge etc (instead of GPU0 for the intel HD). I have also checked DXDIAG and ONLY the 1080 is present in there. Somehow, these new r5 laptops are using ONLY the 1080 all the time and ignoring the on-board GPU. I've tried reinstalling the Intel GPU with the Dell drivers, the Intel drivers and also the default windows drivers (the dell drivers but a bit older). I can also completely disable the Intel HD630 display adapter and it has absolutely no affect on the system at all (it should be going nuts or maybe even not even let me do it). Somehow, the software/link that is supposed to control how they interact is not working.

Also note that this is my 4th Alienware 17 and my last one was the r3 so I know how they are supposed to run. I've also been working in the IT industry for over 20 years so I'm not a teenager having a crack at it. I've been doing this a long time.

10 Posts

May 1st, 2018 09:00

Hi Tammy,

I don't think you read my post properly. I've already stated that I know how these are "supposed" to work. I've also already said that the nVidia control panel (something I am very familiar with) DOES NOT have the on board GPU listed at all. It's like it doesn't exist and yet it's installed and I see it in the device manager.

• 

81 Posts

Thank you for the information @B0ad1c3a!

Every time that the system is going to use a more graphics intense application, the fans will kick up to cool it down and that's the expected behavior. 

There maybe a conflict with the new Windows 10 version and the Nvidia control panel, which is causing the system to only use the Intel card for all tasks. Please try manually configuring the Intel card to run with the applications that you are using. We will like you to try doing this, in both the Nvidia control panel and also by using the advanced graphic settings in Windows 10.

• Click here to see an article on how to use the Windows advanced settings.
  • Follow the steps on this article to configure the GPU using the Nvidia control panel. 

After doing this, please test to confirm if the same issue persists and let us know. 

10 Posts

Hi Tammy,

Ok, after much fiddling around, I disabled the nVidia GPU in the device manager and (after messing up all my icons) it has reverted to the intel GPU for sure. See this image of the GPU0 in use now:

Untitled-1.jpg

• 

81 Posts

We apologize, we wanted to make sure you did all the recommended procedures. 

Please send me your Service Tag on a private message, so we can look further into this. 

• 

81 Posts

Please try the procedure above. Disabling the Nvidia GPU in device manager is not a recommended procedure nor should you have to enable/disable the Nvidia GPU in device manager every time you want to use it or not.  

10 Posts

May 1st, 2018 12:00

Hi Tammy,

I just tried to install the latest feature patch for Windows 10 (the 1803 update released today) and ran into issues where it was asking me to uninstall the "Hybrid laptop with discrete GPU connected to display" because it wasn't supported. After much messing around removing both display adapters from the device manager and fiddling with airplane mode to prevent them auto installing (thanks to some online suggestions) I managed to get the update installed but I have a feeling this driver is causing the issues as I think it's the one that controls the seamless switch between GPUs.

Either way, with that big windows feature patch installed I can now see options in windows to choose which GPU runs for certain apps (from that link you sent) and also since then, I can't see any stats of which GPU is running but I CAN say the laptop is running MUCH quieter now with the fans off pretty much all the time (as I remember from the old ones) but I can't say if it's actually fixed or not. Either way, since the laptop model is only a week old, I think I'll let the drivers/bios team work out the kinks and hopefully a future patch will solve it completely. Thanks for your suggestions.

• 

81 Posts

May 1st, 2018 13:00

Thank you for this information @B0ad1c3a!

Please send me a Private Message if you have any other problem. 

17 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 10:00

One question does your laptop have the gsync? The laptops with Gsync only the GTX card is connected. meaning the nvidia card runs everything. That shouldnt cause the fans to sun so hard though. Not sure if this will help any.

10 Posts

May 14th, 2018 03:00

Hi, Yes, it does have G-Sync. So the Intel GPU is basically never going to be used? Sees a bit of a waste to have the nVidia card in use all the time. That was the whole point in having them both, less power, less heat, longer battery etc. But Yes, my fans are still running constantly. Not high, but definitely on. My last 17 (an R3) never did this, It was silent and hardly ever kicked the fans on. It's a fresh install with nothing on it (new laptop). I even formatted and installed windows again from fresh, still the same. Even selecting the "silent" mode for the fans STILl has them running, just a little slower. I'm 100% convinced it's because the nVidia GPU is active. It's simply producing more heat. I'm really not happy with the design of this,.. Hopefully they will release a bios update to allow people to turn off G-Sync completely and run things the old way.. G-Sync doesn't seem to work anyway. no matter what I do, it never kicks in. Thankfully it runs overwatch on Ultra with 250+ fps so tearing is not that bad. Still, I seem to have the worst of both worlds. 1080GPU forced on with GSYNC forced on... and GSYNC doesn't work. *facepalm*

10 Posts

May 14th, 2018 12:00

I just spent 2 hours disassembling a brand new £3k laptop so I can remove and re-paste the GPU and CPU with Arctic Silver and the temperatures have indeed come down a little. More importantly, all 6 cores from the i9-8950 are showing an even temperature and previously it there were 2 cores spiking quite badly and one of them was even hitting the 100 cap and throttling before fans could wind up. The wax paste they use at Dell is terrible and the monkeys they have doing the work are sloppy, it was a proper mess and I even had to bend a part of the heatsink back as it wasn't even making contact with one of the components.

I can't say the issue is solved, but I have definitely noticed a more even fan speed and opening a browser (for example) doesn't automatically spin the fans to max anymore. It's better, but I still think it would be better to be able to use the intel GPU for every day stuff, even if it means disabling G-Sync.

The bottom line: YOU SHOULDNT NEED TO DO THIS ON A BRAND NEW £3K LAPTOP - Shame on you Dell/Alienware, you're letting quality slip. I've had an M17X, a 17r3 and now this 17r5 and I've never had to do this before. I could see everything was so well designed and high quality and you degrade it like this? Not cool...

Still waiting for a BIOS update or something to fix the GPU in use etc... But I don't think it will ever come.

No Events found!