Greenguy79
1 Copper

Alienware Laptop Warranty Exchange

Hi Guys,

So I have a looong story that I will try not go into and keep it basic.  I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide me the answer.

I bought an alienware laptop and paid extra money for the 3 year extended warranty.

My laptop recently had problems with that could not be resolved with technicians coming to my house twice & spending all day working on it.  Then it was shipped to the service center to be worked on.  It was worked on and it arrived with basically the same problem with the battery not charging.  My case was escalated to a system exchange and I missed the call. The voicemail from the guy said that I will be replaced with a REFURBISHED laptop and receive the remaining warranty I have on my original laptop.

Does this make sense? 

1.  I receive a refurbished laptop??? 

2.  The refurbished laptop receives the remaining warranty on my old system???

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me,

Green

0 Kudos
4 Replies
purple397
3 Silver

Re: Alienware Laptop Warranty Exchange

I received a first rate refurbished machine once.   The only blemish being the Refurbished sticker on the bottom.  I would suggest you agree.  Then if what you receive has something you can't stand, then in a friendly voice express that to the exchange people.  The Dell Exchange people like friendly people. 

What you might not know about the Exchange is that they will sometimes provide a later version of an Alienware in exchange for an older model.  I turned in a 14 inch Alienware with a battery issue at nearly two years of age that had maxed out specs, and received a Alienware 15 inch R2 with maxed out specs.  A much faster computer with later processors. 

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Ruthenium

Yes and Yes.  When you do any sort of warranty work on your machine, it may include refurbished or new parts depending on supply and time constraints.  Also if you do a system exchange you will get a certified refurbished system of equal or greater spec/value.  This is an industry wide practice for most if not all large OEMs. 

As for your warranty, you paid for 3 years so you only get 3 years.  If you get a new/refurbished system that system will have your warranty that you paid for, transferred to it, not extended.  

0 Kudos
Greenguy79
1 Copper

Well I hope the refurb has been gone through thoroughly.  What I have experienced so far with Dell's Alienware laptops has not made me confident in their workmanship.  I had service calls on the keyboard and power cord within the first year of purchasing my original laptop.....

A few months left on a refurbed Alienware laptop unit compared with a refurbed iphone I purchased over the summer - the iphone came w/ 1year warranty.  I'm not sure why Dell wouldn't stand behind their work at least for a year.  My warranty on the crapped out original laptop should have no bearing on this refurbed unit.

This whole situation has been a complete nightmare. I've had to fight tooth and nail throughout the entire warranty process just to get to this point...

Thanks for the replies guys - if I sound mad it's definitely not directed at you Smiley Happy 

~green

0 Kudos
MaxH87
1 Copper

Accidentally hit the "Post" button.

I had a pretty similar experience and was really shocked by its service. I had a G5 purchased in end of July, 2018 and found issues in Nov. In order to solve the issues, I had spent 2 afternoons talking to Customer Service and assisting them to scan and diagnose my system. Well, no problems found. I had videotaped when the system go down. As a solution, they asked me to ship it back and get it repaired. I waited 2 weeks for 1st repair and 1 week for 2nd repair. Guess what, the computer does the same thing. And on Monday, they asked me to ship it back 3rd time. How ironical? I refused. They had Escalating Team take the case and the team offered me a refurbished computer for exchange. I paid for a NEW WORKING COMPUTER  but NON-WORKING one. 

I am really disappointed by the service Dell provided. I bought Dell just because of my friend's recommendation about their service. Now, look at what they provided for me or your case, they are taking advantage of the customer group. They even don't care to negotiate with you. Instead, they just do what they want. Very self-centered.

I am wondering if we could negotiate with Dell as a group or reveal those unfair treatments. However I think Dell doesn't CARE.

0 Kudos