Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2021 01:00

m15 R5, how to run dual 4k @ 60hz

After my PC broke down lately I looked for an alternative and my choice fell on the Alienware M15 R5. To replace my stationary broken down PC as well as be a replacement for my surface laptop. So have a all in one device for home and to go.

Only thing that is preventing my purchase is that my current setup includes 2 * 4K monitors @ 60hz , run over DP. I want to continue using these monitors when i am at my desk. After some hours of reading and googling i still don't have a satisfying solution to achieve that. 

I would ofc prefer a dock solution, but I think that is not possible, because of bandwidth?

What would be the best solution to achieve my dual monitor setup with the laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings from Germany 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 15th, 2021 21:00

@shaddowlink This is an Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition R5, correct?  If so, it doesn't appear to have a Thunderbolt port, presumably because Thunderbolt is an Intel technology.  Running dual 4K 60 Hz from a dock would require Thunderbolt, so you're correct that your setup would not allow that through a docking station (and a docking station wouldn't adequately power that system anyway).  Your best option would be a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for one display and an HDMI cable to the other, assuming that your 4K displays have a DisplayPort input and an HDMI 2.0 input.  In theory, you could run dual 4K 60 Hz as a daisy chain from your USB-C port if it was used purely for video rather than video + USB 3.x as a dock would run, but to run a dual 4K 60 Hz daisy chain would require that the source system and both displays support DisplayPort 1.3/HBR3 or better and that one of the displays have a DisplayPort output for daisy chaining.  4K 60 Hz displays typically don't have daisy chaining outputs, or sometimes they have one that only supports DisplayPort 1.2/HBR2, in which case the daisy chain would only run dual 4K 30 Hz.  That's why the cabling setup I mentioned earlier is probably your best bet.

• 

25K Posts

October 15th, 2021 19:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

Hello, sorry that I am off topic. I have been going in circles trying to see where I can post a question, but so far, I have striked out. Would you be kind enough to tell me where to go to post a question about a failed camera  test for Inspiron 3847 Windows 10 PC?

I would appreciate it. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@seeking_solutions  Go to the Laptops section, then the Inspiron subsection, and post a new topic there. Good luck!

October 15th, 2021 22:00

Hello, thanks, I will do as you suggest.

Have a nice rest of the day.

Blessings.

October 15th, 2021 22:00

After researching as well as reading your reply I decided to spend a little more money and go with a thunderbolt supporting Intel system. 

Thank You

No Events found!