Tspin
Copper

Alienware M15 extremely high temps and thermal throttling

I am having heat issues with my M15-i7 and 1070Max-Q config. The image below is from playing Overwatch for an hour; constant thermal throttle, above 90C temps with 100C at points and I was struggling to hit 100FPS while I see other people boasting over 150FPS on ultra settings. The laptop was set to Performance mode, had a -.100v setting and was on a flat table with unobstructed vents. I had both thermal and power throttle while trying to benchmark it on UTX.

XTU Benchmark.PNG

1 Hour M15 on Overwatch.PNG

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alienware M15 extremely high temps and thermal throttlin

Hi @Tspin,

1. Configure Alienware Command Center

1. Open Alienware Command Center

2. Set the Active System Theme - Thermal as Performance Mode

Active System Theme

2. When the system boots up, using the pre-installed software Dell SupportAssist run the stress test.

Dell SupportAssist > Hardware Checkup > CPU > CPU stress test

Stress Test

3. Launch the Alienware Command Center and go to Fusion and monitor the CPU frequency. Ensure that the CPU frequency is within the range during the first 5 minutes

CPU Type Base Frequency Cool Mode Performance Mode
Intel Processor i9-8950HK 2900MHz 2900MHz 2900MHz + 200MHz
Intel Processor i7-8750H 2200MHz 2200MHz 2900MHz + 400MHz
Intel Processor i5-8300H 2300MHz 2300MHz 2900MHz + 400MHz

1. Monitor the CPU temperature on the Fusion page

• The CPU peak temperature should be less than or equal to (≤) 100 ℃

• When under high stress, the system average temperature can be expected to be less than (≤) 100 ℃

• Note: The CPU average temperature can be expected to reach 95 ℃ under cool mode for the Alienware M15 and M17 systems

Performance Mode

Cool Mode

Let me know how it goes!
Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Tspin
Copper

I performed the test and at first CPU Frequency was jumping around a bit up to 3.8 but after a couple of minutes it settle around 3.40. As you can see in the Intel XUT graph in the screenshot the temperature was at 100C throughout the whole test. Are temperatures this high considered normal? Support Assist Stress Test Final.PNG

0 Kudos

@Tspin wrote:

I performed the test and at first CPU Frequency was jumping around a bit up to 3.8 but after a couple of minutes it settle around 3.40. As you can see in the Intel XUT graph in the screenshot the temperature was at 100C throughout the whole test. Are temperatures this high considered normal? Support Assist Stress Test Final.PNG

100c is known issue for the the M15x, some found the fix to retim, others needed to swap out the heatsink for a defect. Maybe both...

0 Kudos