sirenbrian
1 Copper

Alienware R4 audio issues - won't go loud without distortion

Hi,

I really enjoy the graphics performance of my R4, but the audio is pretty weak. When I plug in a set of headphones I can't get them to play at a decent volume without distortion. I'm using the Realtek driver (I'm guessing that came with it?). I haven't tried switching drivers or anything technical.

I'd just like the audio performance to match the price tag.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWinMT
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware R4 audio issues - won't go loud without distor

I would first try another set (or two) of headphones to make sure that is not the issue...!

0 Kudos
sirenbrian
1 Copper

I have done so - I used my monoprice over-the-ears, my Thinksound On2 and various little earbuds. They all reveal the same distortion. Those same headphones sound fine on my old laptop and my wife's laptop too. I also have an external DAC, a Dragonfly audioquest, which when I plug into the R4 (taking over the job of decoding the audio and providing a headphone jack), all those headphones sound fine. It's definitely the native headphone jack and/or audio driver doing something to the sound.
0 Kudos
Nelchael730
1 Copper

THIS. I have exactly the same Issue with my 15 r3, it's only occurred since the last bios update etc, 2-3 days I've been going mental trying to find the cause only to finally accept its another Dell issue...

0 Kudos