Nexus Moon
2 Iron

Alienware Update App vs SupportAssist

I am using Alienware 15 R3. Dell Driver & Download website just recently has a new BIOS update today, version is expected to be 1.3.0 (current is 1.2.4), and an Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) update. I initiated driver check using SupportAssist, it found nothing. I manually installed 2 of them. Restarted system. Double check again using Alienware/Dell Update Application also downloaded from the Dell Support website -> it notifies the recomend updates are BIOS and IRST. I feels confused but still update through the Update Application. Restart again and the Update App still telling I need to update those 2. Checking BIOS version using msinfo32: version 1.2.4, date 1/25/2018. Why Dell/Alienware having both SupportAssist and Update App when they cannot update the software/BIOS/Firmware to protect the system against known vulnerabilities?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alienware Update App vs SupportAssist

@Nexus Moon,

I've sent you a PM as I'd like to get some additional information from you. Looking forward to your reply. 

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alienware 15r3
1 Nickel

I have a similar question. I am not seeing suggestion to do bios update from recent refresh with either Alienware/Dell Update Application or Support Assist, but the new bios is offered on my Dell login "Drivers and Downloads" page. My Windows System info says I have "BIOS Version/Date Alienware 1.2.4, 1/25/2018". By the date alone, since there is one with a newer date, one would think an update would be ok? But the version # matches what I already have. Should up do the update? Please advise. Thank you.

Alienware 15 r3.

@Community,

Alienware 15 R3 BIOS 1.3.0 has been removed from the Dell Catalog so there should be no further prompts to install it through Dell Update or Support Assist. 

Dell is working to add a new Alienware 15 R3 BIOS update to the catalog that should work correctly with Dell Update and Support Assist. The release is expected within the next 3 weeks.

Thank you for your feedback.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos