cgidude
1 Copper

Alienware can't remove sata cable

Jump to solution

How am I supposed to remove the sata cable on the Alienware 15 R3? It won't budge. The build quality on these laptops is terrible. I've already had to call a support engineer out just to get a screw remove because it was locked - apparently production hasn't been told not to over-torque screws.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Alienware can't remove sata cable

Jump to solution

Don't pull the cable, it might get damaged. Try to get it out with some tweezers.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

It should be simple. Check these 2 videos and let me know how it goes!

New Alienware 15 R3: How to Upgrade/Replace Hard Drive

New Alienware 15 R3: How to Upgrade/Replace SSD

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
cgidude
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The videos don't clearly show the sata cable being removed, mine won't detach as there is no room to get a good grasp on it.

0 Kudos
cgidude
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Is it safe to pull on the SATA cable instead of the connector, will this rip the cable out from the connector?

Alternatively, is it safe to use pliers to wrench the connector out? I don't see how else to do it as there is no way to grasp the connector with fingers. Either use pliers or pull on the cable itself.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Don't pull the cable, it might get damaged. Try to get it out with some tweezers.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
cgidude
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks, that worked 🙂

The system is much lighter and quieter now (probably cooler too) without the mechanical hard drive. IMO Dell should have the option when configuring a new build to not include it, people who spend this kind of money on laptops don't use mechanical hard drives anyway.