Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

August 13th, 2019 23:00

m15 R1, CPU and FPS drop

I got a Alienware m15 a few months back and it has had amazing performance throughout all my games. However, last week my CPU and FPS count drop massively. CPU temps overclocked at 30%-40% and the FPS was around 15-30. I updated all my systems and also did a scan through my whole pc and all my components worked perfectly fine. Could soemone please help me with this problem.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 14th, 2019 16:00

Hi @Rehandsam

Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Regarding video drivers, please try the latest from the Nvidia site and the latest from our website.

Is the system overclocked?

Does the same thing happen with online and offline games?

Let me know!

2 Posts

August 16th, 2019 23:00

Sorry for replying late. I have done all of that and sometimes it work and sometimes it does not. Its on and off. However, I am taking my laptop to the Dell store near me to check the problem. Thanks for the help though!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 19th, 2019 08:00

Hi,

Ok

Feel free to contact us back in case you need something else.

Have a nice day!

2 Posts

December 28th, 2019 05:00

HI mate i have Alienware M15 R1 with I7 8th gen 16gb Ram and RTX 2060 and i have very low FPS for far cry 5 only i got 50 to 60 fps why?

April 27th, 2021 11:00

What was the solution bro... Im having the same problem! I have tried everything yet it lags and fps drops are massive.. please help me

5 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 12:00

I am having similar issues

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 17:00

Laptops require regular maintenance to keep them running at optimal performance. Overheating can often be the reason for a sudden drop in performance. If you haven't already, you should open up the laptop and clean out any dust/fluff that may have built up around the fans and heatsinks and then repaste the CPU and GPU.

You can also run the ePSA diagnostic. Press F12 during boot to get into the Boot Menu. The diagnostic is in this menu. 

Working on the insides of laptops can be dangerous if you don't use precautions. Always remove the power adapter and unplug the battery before doing anything else. It is best to use an anti-static wristband but if you stand on a tiled floor barefoot then you shouldn't pick up much static that can transfer to an electrical component. Standing on carpet while wearing socks would be the worst thing you can do. 

Make sure you have new thermal compound ready before repasting. I think the Noctura NT-H1 does a pretty decent job for the price.

Carefully watch teardown videos before and during the disassembly so you don't make any mistakes that can lead to broken parts.

Here is a teardown video from Dell but there are a few out there in Youtube land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGfZoAwLdLg

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 20:00

Peak temp on the Noctura is 110deg so it is still suitable. The aim is to get these CPU's to run cooler than 100deg because prolonged use like this will shorten the life of the system. 

I said the Noctura was "decent", not the best. 

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 21:00

Up to 3 years is a long time to have to go without repasting. Most enthusiasts would do a full system cleanout and repaste yearly. 

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 21:00

Maybe not you but many others (maybe the OP) would prefer to keep their systems running at their best so yearly preventative maintenance is important. This will help it to keep working year after year. If the OP's issue is related to thermal throttling then it shows that regular maintenance is very important. The Noctura paste has a 3 year CPU lifespan so if you're planning on repasting every 4-5 years then your laptop will be well outdated, if it lasts that long. Dust and fluff can build up on the heatsink fins quite quickly, depending on the environment the laptop is in, and if you're going to go to the trouble of opening up your laptop to clean it out then it isn't much extra work to do a repaste. 

No Events found!