Highlighted
1 Copper

Alienware m17 R1 Dell site says it's incompatible to configure with the 2070 why

Jump to solution

I'm trying to price out an m17 R1 and when I select the 2070 or 2080 I get a message that neither GPU is compatible with the only i7 that is available for that laptop:

The selection - 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.5Ghz w/Turbo Boost) is incompatible with Video Card
The Video Card selected is incompatible with the current Processor selection.

What's the deal? Should I be buying the G7 17 instead?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Alienware m17 R1 Dell site says it's incompatible to configure with the 2070

Jump to solution

For what it's worth I had chatted with a rep and he saw the error and escalated it to their internal support.

Now the R1 product page is updated and the option for the 2080MQ is gone but the 2070MQ is still there and doesn't throw an error when you choose it.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-m17-r1-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m17-lapt...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Alienware m17 R1 Dell site says it's incompatible to configure with the 2070

Jump to solution

For the M17 R1, they no longer have any motherboards with the RTX2080; that option was only available with the 9980HK CPU, and that's out of stock too.  The only M17 R1s left are the 9750H CPU paired with the RTX2070MQ.  You may want to try and reach out to Dell's sales team, they might be able to find a refurbished unit with those specs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I guess I should have been more clear, though I did provide the link to the product page. The 2070 and 2080 listed are the MQ models.

The GPU choices for the M1 are: the RTX 2060, RTX 2070MaxQ and the RTX 2080MaxQ.

It's the two MaxQ cards that say they are incompatible, contrary to what you just said.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

This model was just replaced with the m17 R2 -- it's very likely that all they have are pre-built systems now, as it's an end of life model.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

For what it's worth I had chatted with a rep and he saw the error and escalated it to their internal support.

Now the R1 product page is updated and the option for the 2080MQ is gone but the 2070MQ is still there and doesn't throw an error when you choose it.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-m17-r1-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m17-lapt...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos