Highlighted
oroboros
1 Nickel

Alienware m17x R4 - Black screen in windows / graphics card

Hi,

A few days ago i loaded up my laptop and the screen flickered but seemed to be ok. Then while scrolling through a website the screen flickered and then went black.

When the screen went black the keyboard lights reamin on but pressing keys didn't seem to do anything, it was like the computer had crashed. Even the reset / power button did not work.

I have restartedt the computer and the screen came back on for the bios and alienware screen, the windows loading screen came on fine but as soon as it loaded windows screen went black again.

Rebooted again into safe mode and everything works fine.

Noted that there was a windows update the day before.

restarted in non safe mode and same issue

Thought it might be graphics card driver but could not update in safe mode.

I formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh version of windows but still the same issue. 

Found out that if disable the AMD Radeon HD 7970M card ain safe mode it boots up fine outside of safe mode.

I have tried to update the drivers in windows but during the installation it seems to activate the graphics card and black screen of death returns.

I have done the hardware check in bios and no errors come up.

Is it just the drivers? can you install drivers outside of windows?

OR is the graphics card dead

Things seem to be running fine without it enabled, i do not plan to use the laptop for gaming but will it cause issues down the line ? i will want to plug into larger screens/TV's, general web use/ office and some photoshop usage.

Also scanned in support assit and all ok. 

Running windows 10 home

16 gb ram, 256 ssd 512gb second drive

Any help will be appricated 

if you need any additional info just let me know

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oroboros
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware m17x R4 - Black screen in windows / graphics c

bump

0 Kudos
Grypho0
1 Copper

Same problem with my MX17Ra and the ATI 7970M. If I disable the discret videocard, the bios just crash on startup

0 Kudos
oroboros
1 Nickel

mine works ok if i disable the card, thinking of swapping out the graphics card to get back to its former glory

0 Kudos