Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2019 10:00

Area-51m, cannot change color backside, touchpad

Hi,

I got this very nice laptop 3 days ago. Back then I could change the color on every part of the laptop. But now after an update on the Alienware Command Center, I can't find how to set the color for the touchpad or the backside of the laptop. What to do?

Thanks in advance

November 21st, 2019 11:00

Install the older version of Command Center and then set a firewall rule to prevent it from connecting to the update site. If it does try to update, say No when you get the UAC prompt to install the update. That's what I've been doing and all the color controls work including "Tron" light and touchpad. It's a shame Dell/Alienware have saddled such a beautiful laptop with broken/buggy software.

October 31st, 2019 13:00

So I got it working by uninstalling Command Center and reverting to the September 2019 version: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Now I can adjust the colors of everything. The software is glitchy but it does work once you figure it out. I didn't see anything important in the new (October) update.

October 31st, 2019 13:00

Same here. The Command Center software was sketchy before and now it seems to be broken. I would love to play with those colors again!

November 1st, 2019 06:00

The only problem is it keeps trying to auto update to the broken October version. Does anyone know how to prevent it from auto updating?

14 Posts

November 1st, 2019 11:00

... for me is working perfectly

.. I have been changing and tweaking everything

... no problem at all ... for now

... just check that the option is not "GO DARK"

... choose always GO DIM

Annotation 2019-11-01 154831.jpg

1 Message

November 18th, 2019 13:00

same problem i m facing now.. i cant find the option of backlight and trackpad. only getting the keys , external keyboard and mouse. updated several times but did not get the option or any updates on that. i think they removed it. but why ?

1 Message

November 21st, 2019 10:00

I'm have the same problem.  I do not have the options to change the backlight or the touchpad.  Soo confused on why this was changed.  Anyone find any other options?

November 23rd, 2019 21:00

Yeah they broke the Command Center. Thought it was just me and I wasted a ton of time trying to figure it out. Other vendor would never ship software like this, and if they did, they'd fire the project manager and have a fix out the same day. Fortunately the older version works. Took me forever to find this thread though!

January 29th, 2020 21:00

Hi, anyone else having issues similar to this on their Area-51m? I tried doing a clean uninstall of the AWCC and OC Controls and went back as far as the July 2019 Versions of AWCC and OC Controls but I am still unable to customize the Alien head at the top case, Alien head power button, touch pad, and tron lighting. 

I am only able to customize the Keyboard and that's it. This is frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone else resolved this issue?

This started to occur after the December 2019 update of AWCC for me.

February 23rd, 2020 04:00

Whatever was before the October 2019 update works for me. It keeps trying to auto update, every boot. You have to stop it each time and/or block with firewall to prevent it from updating.

No Events found!