Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2020 07:00

Area-51m, freezing for 5-10 seconds

I've been having some issues with random freezes on my Alienware 51m. The mouse will freeze on screen and it seems as if the whole system is frozen too. Can't use the keyboard or interact in any way. After 5-10 seconds it always returns to normal.

Everything is updated. I triple checked that. Purchased this is November 2019 I believe...

Thanks

22 Posts

August 20th, 2020 10:00

I had the same problem on my Alienware laptop and worked with Dell support for months. They even replaced the motherboard, RAM, and SSD.

In the end, what solved it for me was uninstalling all of the Dell and Alienware extra software. I am pretty sure the culprit was something called "Dell SupportAssist Remediation" but I just uninstalled it all and never reinstalled any of it to see which program it was. I also uninstalled some of the Killer Networking management software which was causing network issues -- haven't had a network issue since.

November 18th, 2020 16:00

I can confirm @lam3001 solution to the problem. This a Dell software problem.

Once I uninstalled the "Dell SupportAssist Remediation" software for the laptop, the problem was solved. I haven't had any new freeze since then.

1 Message

February 4th, 2020 06:00

I have the same problem, have you figure out what is doing that? It is very annoying. Happens several times a day. I have the same model as you have.

February 4th, 2020 13:00

I used to have micro freeze too, that corresponded to 100% CPU load but could not find the process involved. However I found few daily Critical Hardware failure in my windows error log. Did you check your Windows Reliability monitor and Event viewer to see if you have critical errors? Mine were related to the internal graphic card and some power function when back form Sleep mode.

Not sure if related to the original micro freeze but I de-activated the iGFX in the device manager and the sleep function when plug in the power management and since then I do not have any freeze or critical hardware errors.

EDIT: I also removed the AWCC that never worked and created many conflicts + the Tobii stuff that I have no use for. 

February 4th, 2020 16:00

"I used to have micro freeze too, that corresponded to 100% CPU load but could not find the process involved. However I found few daily Critical Hardware failure in my windows error log. Did you check your Windows Reliability monitor and Event viewer to see if you have critical errors? Mine were related to the internal graphic card and some power function when back form Sleep mode.

Not sure if related to the original micro freeze but I de-activated the iGFX in the device manager and the sleep function when plug in the power management and since then I do not have any freeze or critical hardware errors.

EDIT: I also removed the AWCC that never worked and created many conflicts + the Tobii stuff that I have no use for. "

I looked at the reliability monitor (which i never knew existed) nothing stuck out except for AWCC had "stopped working" every day. So I went ahead and uninstalled that. See if that makes any difference

I have yet to find a solution despite following the Alienware reps' advice sent to me in private message.

Frustrating.

Oh and for anyone that ends up in the thread, things I've tried as suggested by Dell Support and others (and also this that they suggested I watch):

Computer Hangs & System Freezes (Alienware Official Channel)

1) Using the computer with nothing plugged into it but the power cord. Meaning no mouse, etc.

- Still froze

2) Ran the ePSA that is found in the bios at startup (F12 at alienware logo). I even ran the extended test.

- No errors or problems found.

3) Reflashed the BIOS even though I had the latest BIOS.

- No difference

4) Cleaned up system files. Just normal windows disk cleanup.

5) Ran virus and malware check. Again, normal windows procedure.

6) Check on recently installed programs. (I doubt it's this)

7) Updated literally everything. Windows Update, Alienware updates, nVidia updates, yada yada yada

8 ) Checked Windows Reliability Monitor for anything suspicious. I saw that Alienware Command Center kept crashing so I went ahead and uninstalled it. Verdict is out on whether or not this solved it.

Things I haven't tried that were suggested:

1) Running a Cleanboot and seeing if there is any difference.

- I feel like this won't work, but i'll give it a go.

2) Doing a clean install.

- Not going to do this, the laptop is almost brand new I doubt this would solve anything.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2020 06:00

Hello,

I own a 51m and I had this issue with the stock Windows installation.
I ended up erasing the Windows partition and doing a clean install with a bootable USB key.

This resolved my freezing issues. Just so you are aware, by checking the event log viewer on Windows I found out the Wireless card was the cause of all these freezes. Maybe try to completely re-install drivers for the Wi-Fi card and see if it helps. Otherwise, clean installing Windows was the workaround for me. Never froze again on this current Windows 10 version.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 20th, 2020 14:00

Killer networking sometimes messes things up with micro freezes as you all said.

Id recommend deleting the killer control center and the support assist app and reinstall them.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

November 18th, 2020 19:00

Great.

No Events found!