Nibiwoof
1 Copper

Area-51m, power supply options

I'm trying to understand how the PSU options work with the Area-51m. If I choose base model 2060 no matter what I change it to 2080-2070 it still says 180w x2 same for the 2070 model if I try to change it to 2080 still says 240w and 180w only the $$$$$3999 model. Which I certainly don't have had the proper 330w and 180 w adapter listed. Can I buy extra PSU somewhere? I really want dual 330 to be honest.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RAF65
2 Bronze

Re: Area-51m, power supply options

0 Kudos
Nibiwoof
1 Copper

I would prefer to buy oke from Dell site, not I'm the mood to break my laptop 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jphughan
5 Rhenium

The "proper" power adapter can be based on your specific system configuration.  There are multiple other Dell systems that will come with different wattage power supplies depending on the CPU and/or GPU you selected for your particular build.  If you really want dual 330W power supplies, I'm sure you can buy them as accessories direct from Dell, and you won't break anything by using a higher wattage Dell power supply in a system that doesn't need the additional wattage, but it's not going to make your system faster.  It'll just make it heavier to transport and more expensive overall.  The only possible exception is that I've read some reports around certain Inspiron G Series models where Dell shipped either a 130W or 180W power supply depending on configuration, and some people found that the configurations that came with a 130W power supply would sometimes drain the battery under heavy CPU and GPU load even while connected to power, and getting the 180W power supply resolved the issue.  So it seems in that specific case, Dell may have shipped undersized power supplies.  But unless you're seeing behavior like that, I'm not sure why you want larger power supplies, especially dual 330W power supplies, which isn't even a configuration that Dell offers from the factory.

The idea behind the dual power supply configuration is that if people ever wanted to take that system on the go for more casual usage that didn't require the NVIDIA GPU, they could bring only one of the power supplies and the system would still run properly, just without the discrete GPU active.  That "casual use" power supply is always the 180W power supply.  And then if you want GPU acceleration, you need to connect the second power supply -- and the wattage of that second power supply is based on the GPU in your system.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@Nibiwoof  ok in addition to my post above, I see what you're talking about.  If you start with a baseline spec and max out the configuration, it still says 180W x2, whereas if you start with a higher-end spec that includes that same higher-end hardware as its baseline, you'll see a different power supply spec.  My guess is that that's a bug in the website.  The "Also included" section where the power supply spec is listed might not support being updated dynamically based on configuration options you choose.  But I would expect that the actual power supplies you receive would still be based on the hardware configuration you chose and correct for that configuration, and that despite the discrepancy in information on the website, you would receive the same power supply configuration for a given hardware spec regardless of whether you specified it by starting with a baseline configuration and customizing it or starting with a higher-end spec to begin with.

0 Kudos