Highlighted
pcgboca
1 Copper

Aurora R5 and support for 2T M2 SSD

Hello

I have an Aurora R5 and am trying to confirm support for the latest  2T M2 SSD drives?

The spec sheet says M2 SSD but only says 1T.

Is this slot (M2) limited to 1T sized drives? I see alot of chatter about this causing video cards to run at PCi 8x and such, but no one talks of a boot drive in M2 slot over 1T.

Is this possible?

Is this M2 slot (Which I think is 4X) that much faster than a 2.5" SSD hooked to SATA interface?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Aurora R5 and support for 2T M2 SSD

@pcgboca  yes a modern NVMe SSD is significantly faster.  SATA SSDs top out around 550 MB/s, whereas NVMe SSDs can do 3 GB/s or more.  Your video card being limited to x8 isn't going to make a meaningful difference.  For reference, eGPU enclosures that connect to laptops over Thunderbolt 3 only have at most an x4 connection, and even there as long as you're using the eGPU with displays attached to the eGPU itself rather than having the eGPU accelerate content being displayed on the laptop's built-in display (in which case it has to send data back across the Thunderbolt 3 link), the performance penalty is minor.

As for the capacity question, here's a copy/paste of an answer I've posted in various threads on this forum:

This question comes up a lot. The short answer is that you will be fine with a 2TB SSD. There are many cases of users successfully using SSDs with more storage than the spec listed in their system's documentation.

The long answer is that when Dell lists a max capacity, it's because that's the max capacity that they ship the system with and/or the max capacity they actually tested. But the last time there was a hardware/firmware-based limit on storage devices was back in the Windows XP days, where you needed SP1 and updated motherboard firmware to use drives larger than I think 137GB because going above that required support for 48-bit LBA addressing. And Windows XP also can't use disks larger than 2TB without some hacks. Other than that, Legacy BIOS systems have a 2TB limit on the disk that contains the OS, but newer UEFI systems don't have that. At the moment there isn't a practical limit on drive capacity, so as long as you pick a drive/SSD that physically fits in your system and is compatible with it (some systems with M.2 slots only support M.2 SATA rather than M.2 NVMe SSDs, for example), then except for some potential rare incompatibility cases between certain systems and certain specific drive/SSD models, you will be fine.

0 Kudos