DerekSP13
1 Nickel

BIOS update on Alienware 13 - Froze during installation, blank screen

Jump to solution

Hi,

I know my laptop is a few years old (Alienware 13), but I went online to check for driver updates. I noticed one under critical, and that was a bios update that came out February. I decided to go ahead an install it, it was going fine until the computer locked up.  I ended up leaving it for 3 hours because I could not turn it off, and it remained froze and the fans were on the entire time. 

Once the battery drained I tried turning it on, the keyboard turns on and the fans, but the screen remains blank and nothing turns on or shows up on it at all. I installed the BIOS on the jump drive but cant seem to access the startup since the screen is blank, I also tried plugging in a HDMI to see if it would display there but it wouldn't.

I unplugged the battery to try to use just the power supply, same results.

Any tips or is it bricked? I still have a little under a year of payments left to make so would be bummed if I'm paying for nothing. Smiley Sad

Thanks for any help.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Re: BIOS update on Alienware 13 - Froze during installation, blank screen

Jump to solution

Please check if there's a BIOS recovery tool on the system by following steps in the link below:

BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet | Dell US

0 Kudos
DerekSP13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
It doesn't seem so, I followed the steps and nothing happens. I received the computer mid 2015. Still can't get anything to show up on the screen, turns on and keyboard lights up with my custom set colours but the screen remains off and unresponsive.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @DerekSP13!

We are sorry to hear about your problem.  As a recommendation, try clearing the CMOS battery. This should reset your BIOS to default settings. Click here to watch a video on how to perform this procedure. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
DerekSP13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for the assistance. I have an older model, maybe its the R1 model? It was purchased 3 years ago.

These are the specs from the Manual:

2014 ‑ 12
Rev. A01
Regulatory model: P56G | Type: P56G001
Computer model: Alienware 13

Any other videos on how to unplug the CMOS battery on my older model?

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

It's a Alienware 13 r2 computer.....

Please read Service Manual thoroughly for removal of coin cell battery procedure in the link below:

Support for Alienware 13 R2 | Manuals & documents | Dell US

Also watch video in link below, hopefully it will be a help to you as well.

Dell Alienware 13 R2 (P56G002) CMOS Battery Removal ...

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

After removing or disconnecting coin-cell battery:

1. Press the power button for at least 10 seconds to drain all residual power from the system.

2. Re-insert or re-connect the coin cell battery

3. Assemble the unit and verify functionality

Note: When the system is powered on, it will warn that the date and time is not set, indicating a successful reset

0 Kudos
DerekSP13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for the assistance, followed the video and your instructions, re-assembled the device and i'm still having the problem. The only difference is it made 3 or 4 loud beeps when I first turned it on. Screen is still blank/inactive, keyboard still lights up with my set colors, and fan can be heard.

I also tried using a HDMI to connect it to another monitor, but nothing.

Could it be something other than the BIOS/CMOS Battery?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, it could also be the motherboard. However, we cannot confirm that unless we have it diagnosed in the repair facility. Since it appears to be a hardware issue, send me your Service Tag in a PM, so we can check the available repair options.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
DerekSP13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Alright, I have sent you a PM with the requested information.

Thanks for the help,

Derek

0 Kudos