Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 8th, 2018 20:00

BIOS update (v1.4.4) for Alienware 15R2/17R3 - Has Broken Graphics Amplifier Functionality

Hello,

To whom this may concern.

I had an Alienware Graphics Amplifier connected to my Alienware R2 laptop, which was also connected to a GTX 1080 Ti graphics card, and a MG28UQ Asus Gaming Monitor. Now only the laptop works on its own, the rest dysfunctional. Why?

Ever since I installed the new urgent BIOS update, my Alienware Laptop has started showing many problems and issues. Such inconveniences of which I still cannot fix, even with the help of a customer support agent. 

These are a few examples of problems that I have started to encounter:

1) It has become very slow, unresponsive, and laggy.
2) Connecting an Amplifier only makes it worse, ironically amplifying the DECREASE in performance and responsiveness.
3) In addition, if the Amplifier has a connected Monitor, then the system completely goes haywire, and ends with a black non-responsive screen.
4) The PC refuses to shutdown, leaving a black screen, but the LED lights of logo and keyboard remain on, as well as a hot system still running in the background.
5) My Device Manager has also identified and found a problem with a driver. (Trusted Platfrom Module 2.0)
6) Games no longer run and would crash upon launch, get stuck, and/or activate a BSOD.

I honestly have reasons to believe that the latest BIOS update has severed functionality of the Amplifier.
The graphics card within is no longer in use, and the monitor does not respond or behave correctly. 

I wanted to revert back to the previous version of (v1.3.12), in which everything was working fine as intended before, but was denied by the setup wizard and also told by an agent of customer support that I could not.

If this latest BIOS was as urgent as it's described, then please fix the amplifier issues as well as the drives, and release a newer optimized version. This has put everything from my rig setup of Alienware tech to halt, and I am very displeased.

As requested by the agent I spoke to, here's the information you might need:

Operating System: Windows 10 (Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299)
System Model: Alienware 15 R2
External GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti
BIOS Version/Date: Alienware 1.4.4, 08-Jan-2018
Alienware Graphics Amplifier: 452-BBRG (Reg Model:  Z01G | Reg Type No.: Z01G001)

In addition, here's information I've copied and pasted regarding the Driver issues that this BIOS update has caused:

Device Encryption Support : "Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable"
Device Manager problem: "Trusted Platfrom Module 2.0 has a driver problem"

Thank you for your time and understanding, I look forward to seeing your accommodation in progress and expect a fix as soon as possible.

Sincerely, an Alienware member,

SH3RIFFO

May 6th, 2018 18:00

Hello @Alienware-Eimy, I am having all the same problems that everyone else is having and was wondering if there is any solution that you can help me with.

May 24th, 2018 18:00

Hi @Alienware-Eimy,

It's been a while since this issue started. Do you have any updates for us? You offered me to send in my device for repairs then when i agreed you asked me to wait for bios update. It's been months without any update.

I love my laptop and would really like it to work properly. Please provide some information.

Thanks.

June 10th, 2018 06:00

Bump to remind Dell this BIOS is still broken.

1 Message

June 30th, 2018 04:00

Given that its been 6 months since this BIOS update broke introduced these issue to my laptop, I am starting to look for a new one. You can bet I'm having second thoughts about Alienware, if they can break a high end device with an update without addressing it..

18 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 10:00

Well, the BIOS v1.4.4 has disappeared from the "Drivers & Downloads" section and now the V1.3.12 is available again!

Still wondering if there will be a solution for all of us that installed the broken V1.4.4... @Alienware-Eimy

1 Message

July 10th, 2018 15:00

it seems there is no solution .

i lost my money when i bought aw17 r3 and im regretful for this 

i guess dell dont care about customers

18 Posts

August 1st, 2018 05:00

There is a new BIOS version!! V1.6.1!!

If someone already installed it, please let us know if it fixes those issues commented in this thread.

10 Posts

August 1st, 2018 10:00

unfortunately it does not fix the issues 1.4.4 made.

August 1st, 2018 23:00

Malheureusement il n résous pas le problème de démarrage de l'alienWare 17 R3 2016

10 Posts

September 19th, 2018 17:00

Interesting. Does it by any chance cause the same problems if coming from v1.3.12, as the v1.4.4 did? 

I ended up replacing my motherboard because of v1.4.4. Should I stay on v1.3.12 or update to v1.6.1?

Is it safe?

18 Posts

October 8th, 2018 04:00

Hi,

Did you replace the motherboard under warranty? or did they make you pay for it?

Based on the experience learned from my computer, it's better to stay in V1.3.12 and do not touch V1.4.4 and V1.6.1.

I'm currently in V1.6.1 and the computer is still suffering the issues that v1.4.4 created.

BTW, I'm not aware that there is an official response from DELL about this matter. This is very very disappointing.

10 Posts

June 20th, 2019 13:00

My warranty had long expired. Dell Support wanted me to either pay for the replacement or extend my warranty and have it fixed for free. I refused both options and demanded that they fix it because it was genuinely their fault that my device was corrupt, and of course, I shouldn't have to pay for their reckless doing. After pulling a few strings, they agreed. 

Since then, the v1.4.4 update has been removed from the website, and two new BIOS updates have been released. BIOS versions 1.6.1 (Sep 2018) and 1.7.0 (May 2019). That being said, I am still on v1.3.12 (Aug 2017) and have been told by Dell over the phone to not touch either of the two latter ones, despite them both being listed as 'Urgent'. This is ridiculous.

Not sure what to do now. If anyone by the slim chance jumps from v1.3.12 to 1.7.0, please let me know about your experience. Otherwise, I guess I'm staying on v1.3.12.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

June 20th, 2019 17:00

I updated the bios from 1.6.1 to 1.7.0 with no problems. The 1.7.0 seems as a good and a safe bios.

You can see my and others experience with the new bios in this tread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-15-r2-and-17-r3-system-bios-1-7-0.829030/

That said it will be an updated version of the 1.7.0 (1.8.0) in Aug with new Ucode etc: https://www.dell.com/support/article/no/no/nodhs1/sln317122/dsa-2019-072-dell-client-platform-security-update-for-intel-sa-00213-intel-sa-00223-and-intel-sa-00233?lang=en

10 Posts

November 1st, 2019 06:00

So version 1.8.0 (Oct 2019) was released. Is it any good?
I'm still on v1.3.12 (Aug 2017).

No Events found!