YShoukry
Bronze

Bad experience with Alienware laptops

3 weeks ago, I bought a 15 R3  ALienware, I noticed the screen suffers from image retention,and it occurs  just after leaving anything on the screen for just a few minutes. I posted the problem here on the forum but the response was very slow.  I went back to the store. They contacted the supplier and gave me a refund.

Two weeks later, I bought a 17 R4, I went home, and right out of the box, I found that the screen has the same issue. I was shocked but to be honest It wasn't as bad as in the 15 R3 so I decided to live with it. I changed the black background with the Alienware logo, as it caused too much ghosting, but after usage for a few days, I found that any background image no matter what, even when browsing the internet, I can see image retention for the web-pages layouts. I decided to go to the store again, showed them the issue, they told me I can get a refund or a replacement, I asked for a replacement but told them I will test it before I go. Opened the box and the new one also had the same issue.

I am really disappointed, as this is supposed to be a premium product, but instead, I really had a bad experience.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Bad experience with Alienware laptops

Hello

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This behavior is must known as LCD Ghosting effect, it isn't actually an issue. It happens when the video card frames are faster/slower than the LCD refresh rate. In other words, the video card works faster than what the screen is capable to display. The solution to this is to enable the G-sync/V-sync from the Nvidia control panel, it will calibrate both video response time and refresh rate. There are other video settings in a game that could be tweaked for a better performance, but this is a customization that you would have to make from your perception.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
YShoukry
Bronze

Thank you for your reply
The effect is not happening when I game, It happens during normal operation when the GTX chip is inactive and the integrated graphics chip is running.
The effect is exactly like the one in this video.
https://youtu.be/3Bwh_GnwBFA
0 Kudos

You're welcome. Send me your Service Tag in a PM, so we can look further into this. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos