Highlighted
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal throttling

Jump to solution

I just got my new laptop m15 and its runing too hot, I ran XTU benchmark and the temperature was 100 c !!!!!!!! while playing rise of the tomb raider was at 75 then 82 then 92 then 100 C! both fans running at 100% nothing is blocking the airflow .  

I tried under volt still the same, checked temperature options on alienware command center was in performance, tried laptop stand with fans still the same.

While running benchmark on UTX thermal throttling and power limit throttling was yellow and the status in yes.

5d0d5fd.png905ea67.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
43 Replies
JOcean
Platinum

Re: Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal thrott

Jump to solution

It seems to be a common problem. The link below bears that out. You could pick up a decent cooling pad. At least that should help keep the temps a bit lower.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/Acceptable-Temps-for-new-ALIENWARE-17-Lap...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @Joe1984PS,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
NeWCuLTKiNG
Copper

Jump to solution

Temps are the same for myself and my wife. Tons of throttling from the cpu, gpu isn't breaking a sweat. I'm tempted to send them both back this is crazy for temps the cpu is causing massive stutters in Forza Horizon 4 and GTA V.

0 Kudos
NeWCuLTKiNG
Copper

Jump to solution

I don't think everyone can carry around a cooling pad all the time.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Jump to solution

I thought was a driver issue but yes the same it's happening to me, no matter what I try the laptop is running hot 75 Celsius for single task and jumps to 100 Celsius in matter of seconds I even getting graphical artifacts in forza, we are at winter at 74 F whats going to happen in summer where the temperature goes up 120 F here at palm springs. 

I love the design the materials but I think I got a defective unit, it is uncomfortable to use its hot and noisy as "inferno".

and I agree I didn't pay over $2000 to be carrying a cooling pad everywhere.  

I going to send it back, one of the main adverting of this laptop was the cooling system that is not working at all, maybe or heatsinks are defective.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Jump to solution

well at the end I called tech support they ran some stress test and indeed my laptop was overheating, they are going to replace my heat sink and and fans I hope this solve the problem. 

0 Kudos
sithvrix
Bronze

Jump to solution

Seems normal for this model, I have one too and I been strugling with it. I have reached like 105 playing battlfield V. I been using an usb fan to help to take the hot air out of the computer. So you say they are going to switch? Support have not helped me with mine. 

One question, when the laptop is so hot, does your wireless keeps working? Mine doesn't work if the computer is so hot. I need to wait until it cool downs.

I have this post open and I contacted support the next day I received. I been talking through email and private message. At least my main issue seems to be fixed by itself, so my only issue is the wireless so far. I am going to try a solution they gave me today, hope it works

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Alienware-m15-2018-performance/m-p/6222356

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a hunch that I am encountering the same issue. Although I do not have any concrete proof as I was busy setting up and updating everything last night, I was having a very difficult time trying to work out a performance issue that I'm having. I may have found part of the issue with some of the power management options but I'm still only getting about 50-60 FPS in Overwatch at 1080p with Ultra settings. I believe with the specs of the machine, that it would be able to run it much better. I have a hunch the issue could be Thermal related as I do find the laptop gets very warn but I'm going to do some more investigation tonight.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Jump to solution

105 Celsius is not normal, Intel specifies that the junction temperature for this processor is 100 Celsius, everything over 100 is taking life out of you processor, I'm not getting a replacement weird because in my company this is considered a out of box failure. they will replace the heatsink and fans if that does not solve my problem I will send it back I have nothing against dell but its a very expensive computer.

0 Kudos