Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2018 11:00

m15, temperature 100°C, thermal throttling

I just got my new laptop m15 and its running too hot, I ran XTU benchmark and the temperature was 100°C while playing rise of the tomb raider was at 75°C then 82°C then 92°C then 100°C! both fans running at 100% nothing is blocking the airflow. I tried under volt still the same, checked temperature options on alienware command center was in performance, tried laptop stand with fans still the same. While running benchmark on UTX thermal throttling and power limit throttling was yellow and the status in yes.

5d0d5fd.png905ea67.png

24 Posts

November 30th, 2018 18:00

good news everybody

I just got my heat sink replaced and everything is working perfect, my CPU temp with average usage went down dramatically.

mi CPU temperature in Celsius was

before regular usage 65 to 75 ------- after heat sink replacement on regular usage 37 to 55

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

running benchmark

before heavy usage 92 to 102 ------ after heat sink replacement on heavy usage 85 to 94 ( I can live with that, the junction point is 100 Celsius )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now my temperatures ruining shadow of the tomb raider

after 90 to 102!!.... before 70 to 87 max!!

GPU temp never ever went over 75 Celsius even with the old heat sink.

no more undervolt or cooling pad I'm very satisfied.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 26th, 2018 12:00

It seems to be a common problem. The link below bears that out. You could pick up a decent cooling pad. At least that should help keep the temps a bit lower.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/Acceptable-Temps-for-new-ALIENWARE-17-Laptop/td-p/5572845

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 27th, 2018 12:00

Hi @Joe1984PS,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case. 

November 27th, 2018 21:00

I don't think everyone can carry around a cooling pad all the time.

November 27th, 2018 21:00

Temps are the same for myself and my wife. Tons of throttling from the cpu, gpu isn't breaking a sweat. I'm tempted to send them both back this is crazy for temps the cpu is causing massive stutters in Forza Horizon 4 and GTA V.

24 Posts

November 28th, 2018 04:00

I thought was a driver issue but yes the same it's happening to me, no matter what I try the laptop is running hot 75 Celsius for single task and jumps to 100 Celsius in matter of seconds I even getting graphical artifacts in forza, we are at winter at 74 F whats going to happen in summer where the temperature goes up 120 F here at palm springs. 

I love the design the materials but I think I got a defective unit, it is uncomfortable to use its hot and noisy as "inferno".

and I agree I didn't pay over $2000 to be carrying a cooling pad everywhere.  

I going to send it back, one of the main adverting of this laptop was the cooling system that is not working at all, maybe or heatsinks are defective.

24 Posts

November 29th, 2018 04:00

well at the end I called tech support they ran some stress test and indeed my laptop was overheating, they are going to replace my heat sink and and fans I hope this solve the problem. 

20 Posts

November 29th, 2018 13:00

Seems normal for this model, I have one too and I been strugling with it. I have reached like 105 playing battlfield V. I been using an usb fan to help to take the hot air out of the computer. So you say they are going to switch? Support have not helped me with mine. 

One question, when the laptop is so hot, does your wireless keeps working? Mine doesn't work if the computer is so hot. I need to wait until it cool downs.

I have this post open and I contacted support the next day I received. I been talking through email and private message. At least my main issue seems to be fixed by itself, so my only issue is the wireless so far. I am going to try a solution they gave me today, hope it works

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Alienware-m15-2018-performance/m-p/6222356

24 Posts

November 29th, 2018 14:00

SolidStateSR71 the tech who evaluated my laptop created a new power management profile after that was overheating even faster. Ironically I'm a certified dell tech at my job but I don't want to mess anything on this computer like re-paste because its brand new an should be working without any issues.

I have a hunch that I am encountering the same issue. Although I do not have any concrete proof as I was busy setting up and updating everything last night, I was having a very difficult time trying to work out a performance issue that I'm having. I may have found part of the issue with some of the power management options but I'm still only getting about 50-60 FPS in Overwatch at 1080p with Ultra settings. I believe with the specs of the machine, that it would be able to run it much better. I have a hunch the issue could be Thermal related as I do find the laptop gets very warn but I'm going to do some more investigation tonight.

24 Posts

105 Celsius is not normal, Intel specifies that the junction temperature for this processor is 100 Celsius, everything over 100 is taking life out of you processor, I'm not getting a replacement weird because in my company this is considered a out of box failure. they will replace the heatsink and fans if that does not solve my problem I will send it back I have nothing against dell but its a very expensive computer.

20 Posts

November 29th, 2018 15:00

@Joe1984PS wrote:

105 Celsius is not normal, Intel specifies that the junction temperature for this processor is 100 Celsius, everything over 100 is taking life out of you processor, I'm not getting a replacement weird because in my company this is considered a out of box failure. they will replace the heatsink and fans if that does not solve my problem I will send it back I have nothing against dell but its a very expensive computer.

Thanks for the information, I think I will need to talk with them again and ask for replace of heatsink fans too, I been monitoring the laptop with hwmonitor, this image is just using browser, as you can see it reached 100 during that time. I been using alienware for the last 10 years, and first time I been having so many issues. I really think the thin design, was made in a wrong way.

cpu.png

20 Posts

@SolidStateSR71 wrote:

I have a hunch that I am encountering the same issue. Although I do not have any concrete proof as I was busy setting up and updating everything last night, I was having a very difficult time trying to work out a performance issue that I'm having. I may have found part of the issue with some of the power management options but I'm still only getting about 50-60 FPS in Overwatch at 1080p with Ultra settings. I believe with the specs of the machine, that it would be able to run it much better. I have a hunch the issue could be Thermal related as I do find the laptop gets very warn but I'm going to do some more investigation tonight.

I don't have overwatch, but with battlefield V I can reach up to 120 fps, I think it is in Ultra or at least High, not sure, I am going to check after work.  You have the 144hz monitor?

Nah, I got the base model with the 60hz display and my 4K monitor is also 60hz, so I'm only aiming for 60 FPS really, but I don't think I should be having trouble hitting 60 FPS on Overwatch.. I was also having trouble with LOL. It would go between 60 and 40.. I could see the stutters and I couldn't figure out why, that game ran fine on my old laptop that was much less qualified for games.

November 30th, 2018 00:00

Issue is a compound of a few things. The cooling system on the MAX-Q is TERRIBLE. Then they crammed in a 6core i7-8750H which only made the temps worse.

On top of that, MAX-Q Design itself is prone to throttling due to heat. Pretty normal for fast/thin and to be hot as ... Razers etc are HOT.

Not to mention the fact anything MAX-Q is actually roughly 17/20% Slower versus is none-Max-Q counterparts making them sure look great but performance is less then stellar.

No Events found!