Joe1984PS
Bronze

Re: Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal thrott

Jump to solution

SolidStateSR71 the tech who evaluated my laptop created a new power management profile after that was overheating even faster. Ironically I'm a certified dell tech at my job but I don't want to mess anything on this computer like re-paste because its brand new an should be working without any issues.

0 Kudos
sithvrix
Bronze

Jump to solution

@Joe1984PS wrote:

105 Celsius is not normal, Intel specifies that the junction temperature for this processor is 100 Celsius, everything over 100 is taking life out of you processor, I'm not getting a replacement weird because in my company this is considered a out of box failure. they will replace the heatsink and fans if that does not solve my problem I will send it back I have nothing against dell but its a very expensive computer.

Thanks for the information, I think I will need to talk with them again and ask for replace of heatsink fans too, I been monitoring the laptop with hwmonitor, this image is just using browser, as you can see it reached 100 during that time. I been using alienware for the last 10 years, and first time I been having so many issues. I really think the thin design, was made in a wrong way.

cpu.png

0 Kudos
sithvrix
Bronze

Jump to solution

@SolidStateSR71 wrote:

I have a hunch that I am encountering the same issue. Although I do not have any concrete proof as I was busy setting up and updating everything last night, I was having a very difficult time trying to work out a performance issue that I'm having. I may have found part of the issue with some of the power management options but I'm still only getting about 50-60 FPS in Overwatch at 1080p with Ultra settings. I believe with the specs of the machine, that it would be able to run it much better. I have a hunch the issue could be Thermal related as I do find the laptop gets very warn but I'm going to do some more investigation tonight.

I don't have overwatch, but with battlefield V I can reach up to 120 fps, I think it is in Ultra or at least High, not sure, I am going to check after work.  You have the 144hz monitor?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Nah, I got the base model with the 60hz display and my 4K monitor is also 60hz, so I'm only aiming for 60 FPS really, but I don't think I should be having trouble hitting 60 FPS on Overwatch.. I was also having trouble with LOL. It would go between 60 and 40.. I could see the stutters and I couldn't figure out why, that game ran fine on my old laptop that was much less qualified for games.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Issue is a compound of a few things. The cooling system on the MAX-Q is TERRIBLE. Then they crammed in a 6core i7-8750H which only made the temps worse.

On top of that, MAX-Q Design itself is prone to throttling due to heat. Pretty normal for fast/thin and to be hot as **bleep**... Razers etc are HOT.

Not to mention the fact anything MAX-Q is actually roughly 17/20% Slower versus is none-Max-Q counterparts making them sure look great but performance is less then stellar.

0 Kudos
sithvrix
Bronze

Jump to solution

I found something interesting, if I use laptop with only battery, temperature stays below 70, once I plug in it will reach 100, doing the same stuff and I don't see a difference in performace betwen battery and power supply (I was playing battlefiled V). Have you try this?

@Joe1984PS wrote:

105 Celsius is not normal, Intel specifies that the junction temperature for this processor is 100 Celsius, everything over 100 is taking life out of you processor, I'm not getting a replacement weird because in my company this is considered a out of box failure. they will replace the heatsink and fans if that does not solve my problem I will send it back I have nothing against dell but its a very expensive computer.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Jump to solution

I was looking at the service manual and the voltage regulators are under the heatsink, maybe they are the reason of the overheat, I was using this laptop with the charger all the time.

look at this picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DwyHghPwzUsnofyOwwtIotlczZZkiOUL/view?usp=sharing

Re: Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal thrott - Page 2 - Dell Community
I found something interesting, if I use laptop with only battery, temperature stays below 70, once I plug in it will reach 100, doing the same stuff and I don't see a difference in performace betwen battery and power supply (I was playing battlefiled V). Have you try this?

I will try today after they replace my heatsink.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Jump to solution

good news everybody

I just got my heat sink replaced and everything is working perfect, my CPU temp with average usage went down dramatically.

mi CPU temperature in Celsius was

before regular usage 65 to 75 ------- after heat sink replacement on regular usage 37 to 55

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

running benchmark

before heavy usage 92 to 102 ------ after heat sink replacement on heavy usage 85 to 94 ( I can live with that, the junction point is 100 Celsius )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now my temperatures ruining shadow of the tomb raider

after 90 to 102!!.... before 70 to 87 max!!

GPU temp never ever went over 75 Celsius even with the old heat sink.

no more undervolt or cooling pad I'm very satisfied.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
Bronze

Jump to solution

at the end my problem was the heat sink maybe was a defective batch.

0 Kudos
Scrublor
Copper

Jump to solution

did you replace the heatsink yourself or was it sent back to Dell?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos