Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

November 13th, 2018 02:00

17 R5, AWCC displaying a FAIL SAFE on every boot

Recently had to reinstall Windows 10 again on my new 17 R5 8750h/1070 as an update pushed via supportassist for 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console' effectively nuked my OS, now everyday I get a FAIL SAFE from command center.

This is my third time reinstalling windows on a brand new PC, I'm not exactly thrilled. Anyhow now after reinstalling command center I'm greeted to this every day:Daily Fail Safe

Now I haven't changed any BIOS settings and am running on the recommended settings that were given to me via alienware support after MANY hours of troubleshooting for another problem. 

To date I've reinstalled command center already using the guide provided by dell on how to completely remove command center, to no avail. This laptop has been a giant regret, as it has been constant headaches every step of the way.

5 Posts

November 16th, 2018 05:00

@Tzweifel I found the source of my issue, fast boot was on, once I turned it off the FAIL SAFE stopped appearing.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 14th, 2018 09:00

Hi @j011,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

It seems like Windows is not shutting down properly, making the Command Center believe that the PC crashed. If it has not crashed, and you're not using OC settings, you can disregard the message; OR you can also disable the OC completely in the Command Center and this message should not appear anymore.

Finally, you can review the Windows event logs (Event Viewer), to see if something is causing the system to restart or shut down incorrectly.

1 Message

November 14th, 2018 19:00

I get the same message on a week old system.

22 Posts

December 4th, 2018 17:00

have the same thing but my R5 just turned off then i got the same message fail safe now overclocking is now tuned of up until this point i had not even open up comand center ..i have uninstalled and reinstalled ..had lots of issues trying  to reinstall the OC as it kept saying it was already installed found a solution was to delete Microsoft visual c+++2017   ..but i still cant use the over clock still says turned off this is a brand new system ..

dell got intouch and suggested i reinstall from scratch from image file   ..no thanks have spent ages reinstalling all my old software so its a problem that dell clearly no about ..my pc shut down today again and same message came back up this is the 3rd time this has now happened ..still no solution  apart from restart from scratch no thanks 

22 Posts

December 11th, 2018 00:00

@sheriffdude wrote:

have the same thing but my R5 just turned off then i got the same message fail safe now overclocking is now tuned of up until this point i had not even open up comand center ..i have uninstalled and reinstalled ..had lots of issues trying  to reinstall the OC as it kept saying it was already installed found a solution was to delete Microsoft visual c+++2017   ..but i still cant use the over clock still says turned off this is a brand new system ..

dell got intouch and suggested i reinstall from scratch from image file   ..no thanks have spent ages reinstalling all my old software so its a problem that dell clearly no about ..my pc shut down today again and same message came back up this is the 3rd time this has now happened ..still no solution  apart from restart from scratch no thanks

FYI it turns out if your computer is not overclocked from the factory you can't over clock the CPU anyway ..and as for the fail safe error this seems to be as I have been told by dell it may be a motherboard problem...I have since been offered I compleat new system or mother board replacement .also note on playing games with battery plugged in was still losing power ..there are options can set battery for less performance or maybe turn the fancy lights of but can't say I have ever had a problem with battery drainage on my last 2 mx17 s ..so watch this space will be doing some testing with some high end games soon .at least if I do a swap I can keep hold of current laptop until lady of swap .personly I have never had a problem with dell they're costomer service is always spot on and find they can and resolve most issues 

No Events found!