Whokam
Bronze

Confused over Alienware M15 m.2 ports

Hey all, I'm trying to spec up an M15 ready to be ordered in the Black Friday sales (as advised by the sales rep I spoke with).

I'm wanting to go for the 90Wh battery, so I know this should leave me with 2 M.2 ports, but I'm just a bit confused about what these support.

The setup and spec guide states that 'Your computer supports one of the following configurations:'

• One 2.5-inch hard drives

• One M.2 PCIe solid-state drive

• One M.2 PCIe solid-state drive and one 2.5-inch hard drive

• One M.2 Intel Optane and one 2.5-inch hard drive

• Two M.2 PCIe solid-state drives

But then Storage Specifications under this lists :

Storage type Interface type Capacity

One 2.5-inch hard drive SATA AHCI 6 Gbps Up to 1 TB

One M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive SATA AHCI 6 Gbps/PCIex4 NVMe Up to 1 TB

One M.2 2280 solid-state drive PCIex4 NVMe up to 32 Gbps Up to 118 GB

So from these tables, am I right in thinking that I can run 2 M.2 NVMe drives up to 1TB each?

Also, from the Service Manual, it seems to show two slightly different setups for the M.2 SSD area in regards to what brackets are used.

Page 42 on the manual is about Removing the solid state drive/Intel Optane memory module, and the picture shows what I assume is a 2230 size drive on an aluminium bracket in one slot, and a 2280 drive in the other. Of note here is that they don't seem to be covered by the large copper bracket that is shown on page 45 which is about removing 2280 drives.

Is the 2230 size drive and bracket something that will likely only be used if Intel Optane is included in the storage?

Now, my plan was to just order this laptop with one 256gb SSD, as the available options (ignoring the hybrid drives) are generally either just one SSD, or two SSD's of the same size. I can't really see the point of having two drives of the same size, and so was going to separately purchase a 1TB SSD to stick in the second slot I'd have spare.

I may be over thinking this, but from the service manual it looks like when using 2 SSD's there should be the copper heat sink bracket over them, but I'm a bit worried if this would be present if I was just ordering the laptop with one SSD.

Am I over thinking this, or is it something I should try and get an answer on? Or is it something that likely won't make a difference?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JOcean
Platinum

Re: Confused over Alienware M15 m.2 ports

Yup...you are making it way too complicated. It all comes down to the kind of money you want to spend. The system with a 512GB NVME drive would be fine. You can add another NVME SSD or a 2.5" SSD, or both down the line depending what kind of storage requirements you find you need. And purchasing drives later is cheaper, as I described in your previous post.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
Whokam
Bronze

Cheers, Yeah sorry for the two similar posts. The initial one appeared to vanish so I created a second. Looking back, I think the first for some reason got marked as 'spam' and went off for review. Really just wanting to make sure I get a nice machine that will last me a few years as it's a fairly hefty investment! As I expected though, doesn't appear to be any money off the M15 for Black Friday heh! Regards
0 Kudos
JOcean
Platinum

I understand completely. With that kind of investment best to do as much research as possible. That is how I went about deciding which laptop to buy, and drove my wife crazy in the process.

Take care and Cheers From Canada!

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Syops
Copper

Yes you can have two NVME m.2 drives. I see no limitation on the TB, so the 2TB units in-production will work fine.

The manual does not represent the machine limitations. For instance it only lists 32GB maximum for the ram. 

The max memory configuration is 64GB.

Source: Alienware Tech Support

0 Kudos
zdxrockets
Copper

So do you mean that each NVMe M.2 slot supports up to 2TB and the maximum ram allowed is 64G?

Samsung Evo 970 NVME SSD is compatible with it right?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
JOcean
Platinum

The Samsung SSD will be fine.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell